Author Topic: Thomas Johnson Burden Born supposedly Preston 1800  (Read 1633 times)

Offline tullox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Johnson Burden Born supposedly Preston 1800
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of a Burden family in the Preston area c1800. I am seeking details of Thomas Johnson Burden who in the 1851 Census ( Bermondsey) gives his age as 51 and his place of birth as Preston Lancaster. Nowhere have I been able to find this man or indeed any Burden family. I have found the birth of a Thomas Burden in 1803 in Colne but think that is too far away and not the right date.

There is some evidence to think that he would be "middle class" and from the grocer/draper or allied occupations. He married in 1824 to Maria Latham in Ilkeston Derby, Her father was a very successful grocer and came from a long line of reasonably monied Lathams so I don't think Thomas was a nobody. There is also a tendency towards non-conformism is the family so it could be he was from a non-conformist family but I have been unable to find him.

Any suggestions would be most welcome but I fear I have hit a brick wall.

Regards and thanks
Sue

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Johnson Burden Born supposedly Preston 1800
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sue ...I am not too sure whether Colne came under the registration area of Preston in circa 1800..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co
the baptism you found was this one - 25 miles from Preston ...25 miles is not too far in my opinion..Living in London in 1851 , probably Preston was the biggest recognisable town to people in London...so he said Preston on the census ???
were any of Thomas`s children named William or Elizabeth ...possibly named after the parents ?
Baptism: 27 Mar 1803 St Bartholomew, Colne, Lancashire, England
Thos Burden - Son of Will Burden & Elizabeth
    Born: 3 Mar 1803
    Abode: Colne
according to Family History Sharing a Gauger was a government official who gauged the amount of alcohol in drinks served in Hostelries ...so Will Burden  wasn`t exactly a poor man...
I wouldn`t discount the baptism you found - I would make notes of all the details and put it to one side just in case this is your Thomas`s baptism...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Colne came under the Burnley Registration District, 1837-1936.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 14 09:36 BST (UK) »
Yes KGarrad...but in 1803 ?...was Burnley a large town that early ?...Leeds Liverpool canal was built around 1790 - 1800 and it was only after that Burnley prospered so I don`t know why but I have it in my head that Preston may have covered Colne back then ??...I could be very wrong ...but it`s in the back of my mind I have read it somewhere - or it`s senile dementia ...lol :D
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
Allan - there were no registration districts before 1837! ;D

In 1835 Colne was a township in the parish of Whalley.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
OK Thanks for info ...

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 July 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Just a thought but could he have been baptised as Johnson and then his mother later re-married a Burden and Thomas took that surname?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 July 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
Parker's Row
Thomas Burden  42 Grocer
 Maria Burden  39
 Maria Burden  15 born in the county
 Robert Burden  10 not born in the county
 Sarah Burden  7 not born in the county
 Henry Burden  3 born in the county
1048/5/51/26

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking at the 1851 census Thomas's wife is Elizabeth, not Maria. If this is a second marriage and after 1837 his fathers name will be on the certificate. There is an entry on FreeBMD

1849 Sept. Qtr. Gravesend

Burden    Thomas Johnson  <<<<<                  
Burden    Thomas Johnston <<<<<       
Bustin    Sarah       
Ford    Francis       
Hammond    Elizabeth   <<<<<<<<<    
Harris    John Luckhurst       
Highman    Henry       
Hill    Agnes       
Tyler    Sarah       
Weeks George

claire