Author Topic: Royal Yorkshire Artillery  (Read 1816 times)

Offline J Cook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Yorkshire Artillery
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 August 14 02:07 BST (UK) »
Ken,
I am not sure how to do that. If I had an email address I could forward the file with his attestation paper.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 August 14 12:02 BST (UK) »
Here is the important part of the document. I have to say I am not sure what it says. It could be RFA, or RYA - although the other Ys appear to have an extra curl at the beginning.

I also think is could be a tick followed by a 2, then YA. IE 2YA with a later tick added. There was a Volunteer 2nd Yorkshire Artillery based in the West Riding.

Added..if you look at the Bs in Bingley , the writer does appear to write a tick and takes the pen off the paper before finishing the rest of the B. So it may not say 2YA.

Ken

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 August 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Wow!, you've covered all the base's there Ken  ;D I think it could be:
2YA but like you say the possibility's are endless  ::).

I wonder if putting a link on the recognition and deciphering board would help.

Regards
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline J Cook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 August 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Ken & Frank,
Again many thanks for taking the time to check this out.

Now that you have been critical about the letters I now query it as well. The "Y" that is in question certainly doesn't have as long a tail as all the other "Y's" have. In fact when I cast my mind back to how we were taught to write the "Y" in question actually looks like a capital "T"

Just one more point, did you have an opinion of what the 4 and a Half years was referring to. Do you believe it was the time he spent in the force or was it the number of years since he deserted. I would like to hear you thoughts as it might help me narrow the time when he left England.

Regards
John

Regarding the tick's if you look at the "B's" and the "N's" they all appear to have a tick.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 August 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
As the four and a half years is outside the brackets I think it is referring to his length of service. But I am not even sure of his age. It is 22 with each two written differently?   

firepower.org is the website for the RA. They may be able to tell you what 104th Battery means. But I think you may have to pay. It seems they are closing by 2017 -

From Wiki

Museum

The Regimental museum, "Firepower" located in the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich will close by 2017.

Ken