Author Topic: Mills/Watermills on the Wirral  (Read 17196 times)

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
  • I'll do anything for a scooby snack!
    • View Profile
Re: Mills/Watermills on the Wirral
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 November 07 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Thanks again for trying to research the mill.  I have no idea what it was called but hopefully I've found it on the following link:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/IndexMapPage2.aspx

It looks like it is just at the north end of Raby Mere and it looks like it was called Raby Mill?

I'll see if I can see it on any other maps.  I suppose it might be interesting to look at the census discription of the district?  Unfortunately my ancestry subs have lapsed :'(

Anyway I'll let you know if I find more

Doggy
JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 November 07 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

I've just found this photo on the internet.  In 1891 & 1901 they were said to be living at Mill House!

Cheers
Doggy

JONES,DRURY,CHESHIRE,LATHAM,EDWARDS North Wales Cheshire.  BOWKER,TOWLER Yorks,Lancs.  WILLIAMSON,GEE Cheshire. HOLMES Staffs. PERKS,LEWIS Salop. TURNER,GRACE,SAGER Lancs. KNAPPY Yorks.BURROUGH somerset.BOWKER,STAHAN Canada

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 November 07 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Wow, I've just studied the photo I've just posted and it looks like Joseph Williamson's name in the background!  What do you think?

Doggy

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Doggy
thats a wow from me.who's clever Boy/girl :-\ :-\ :) I looked at some maps as well ,but they were to small.I just downloaded the picture to see if i could enlarge it eough to see the name on the sign but it was to blurred.The last name is long enough to be Williamson  and yes it looks like it could be Joseph with a middle initial cant read the bottom line. The photo is posed so that is probably Joseph in the front of the storeroom/office. The house looks lovely.I did a bit of researching myself last night,it seems before the Gee family had the mill The Lawton Family had it.They lived in neston? and were a big farming family.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Doggy
thats a wow from me.who's clever Boy/girl :-\ :-\ :) I looked at some maps as well ,but they were to small.I just downloaded the picture to see if i could enlarge it eough to see the name on the sign but it was to blurred.The last name is long enough to be Williamson  and yes it looks like it could be Joseph with a middle initial cant read the bottom line. The photo is posed so that is probably Joseph in the front of the storeroom/office. The house looks lovely.I did a bit of researching myself last night,it seems before the Gee family had the mill The Lawton Family had it.They lived in neston? and were a big farming family.

Celia

Have you looked at the Tithe maps here

http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/Default.aspx

You can display two maps for different periods side by side.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
If you centre the left hand map on a property the select "Plot Details" on right hand side then it shows ownership as in

Township:     Raby
Parish:    Neston
Plot №:    186
Owner:    EARL OF SHREWSBURY
Occupier:    RICHARD GHEE
Plot Name:    MILL HOUSE BUILDINGS GARDENS ETC
Land Use:    -
Area:    1 acres, 1 roods, 38 perches
Notes:    -

Township   Parish   Plot   Landowner(s)   Occupier(s)   Plot Name   Land Use   Acres   Roods   Perches   
Raby   Neston   184   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   LAND AND ROAD       2   1   36   Map
Raby   Neston   185   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   INCLOSURE       0   0   26   Map
Raby   Neston   186   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   MILL HOUSE BUILDINGS GARDENS ETC       1   1   38   Map
Raby   Neston   187   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   NEW FIELD       1   1   1   Map
Raby   Neston   188   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   NEW FIELD       0   2   38   Map
Raby   Neston   196   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   MILL DAM       5   0   2   Map
Raby   Neston   202   EARL OF SHREWSBURY   RICHARD GHEE   BLAKELEY BROW       3   1   21   Map

I think that is 1846

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Doggy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 November 07 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Martin/Celia

Above and beyond the call of duty I'd say!

Celia, I'm definately a boy the last time I looked. (I've amended my profile now) ;)

Doggy

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 November 07 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Ghee ::) That explains why couldn't find him, I only looked for Gee :)

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 November 07 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Doggy
I don't know if you have ever seen a water mill,i have seen a few small maybe two story depending on what it was used for, in various parts of the country in years gone buy.The mill not in use of course :) but the water wheels were still bringing up the water(mostly for a tourist attraction) that would have worked the mechanism inside of the mill.Water mills were not really the sort of thing people would take photo's of,well not the English anyway :) as the wheel was on the side of what sometimes looked like a house.You wouldn't even know it was there because the water going through the wheel sounds just like a fast running river.I found the first website its Irish mills but they are the same thing. The second one is good as well ;)
http://www.iol.ie/~carigeen/mills.htm
http://www.ukmills.com/index.htm
I cant think what Raby Mill Milled would it have been corn :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials