Author Topic: Wright's Coffee Tavern/Harrison confectioner  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Daisy01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wright's Coffee Tavern/Harrison confectioner
« on: Friday 15 May 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for any information on The Coffee Tavern at Eastwood Nottinghamshire.The proprietors William and Mary Wright.I think it was around 1891.

Also anything on Mary's father Samuel Harrison (1815-1885) a confectioner on Bridge St Belper in 1861.

Any pictures of either properties would be great or anything on either families, i have the census returns  but nothing else.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wright's Coffee Tavern/Harrison confectioner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you searched the images on

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/

I put in the terms and came up with nothing but there are pictures of the high street etc that you can zoom in on.

Also have you looked on

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

This may reveal some information for you.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Jane

Thanks for the advice .Had a quick look just now at picturethe past.And it's fantastic got lots of pictures of the area and only got as far as page 8.Will check out the directory site next.

Thanks for your help.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 June 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

Where did you find the mention of the coffee tavern Eastwood???

(If I have the correct family) in census i can find no mention of the family living/working at a Coffee tavern- 1891 they lived Nottingham Rd - and on another census The Breach

My OH knows Eastwood (and a lot of its history) fairly well -so any other "pointers" could help

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daisy01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 June 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Suz
I have a paper clipping what was in the family Bible.It's of William and Mary's Golden Wedding.It gives a brief history of their life.It states
William Wright son of Jas (James) Wright of Denby, his wife Mary a daughter of Samuel Harrison confectioner of Bridge St Belper.Mr and Mrs Wright migrated, taking up residence at Newthorpe and finding work at High Park Colliery for 47yr.After residing at Newthorpe eight years and a brief period in The Breach.Mr and Mrs Wright launched out into business, becoming proprietors of an establishment known as The Coffee Tavern.Mr Wright figured prominently in his middle age in the organizations of concerns for the benefit of his less fortunate fellow men.He was a member of "Faith Hope and Charity"Lodge of A.O.O.F for 45yrs.
I don't know anything about the charity .My mother remembers my grandma going to the Tavern as a young girl.I would like to find anything i can about it and of Harrison's confectioners.
Any help would be most welcome.
Daisy