Author Topic: TILLEY (TULLY) family from ROX???  (Read 11950 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
TILLEY (TULLY) family from ROX???
« on: Friday 10 February 12 04:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this board as I'm usually found just south of the Border but can I run this past you all?

My 4 x g grandfather was David TILLEY. Sometimes spelt TILLY or TULLY.

He was first mentioned in his child's baptism record, Thomasine bapt. 1774 at Bellingham C of E in Northumberland. There he was living at Clews, an isolated hamlet of small cottages on a stream near a waterfall.

When he died in 1809 aged 71, he was from Gatehouse, a bastle house village about 6 miles from Bellingham. His occupation was weaver.

The only possible female in the Bellingham records who fits as his wife was a Mary TILLIE who was buried in 1835 at Bellingham aged 88. She was living with daughter Thomasine at Longhaughshields a farm near Bellingham.

As David was about 36 when his first child was baptised at Bellingham he was possibly married and widowed before then.

Their sons were shepherds and weavers.

This is the only TILLY family in the Bellingham area and before 1774 there are NO TILLEY's in the Bellingham or surrounding parishes records back to 1684.

However bearing in mind that the TILLEY's were weavers and shepherds and that Bellingham is close to the ancient drove road of Dere Street, leading up into Scotland. I thought maybe my Tilley's walked south before 1774.

On FamilySearch there is only one likely TILLEY family - David TILLEY and he was from ROX. he was the son of Mark Tillie,​ Helline Bell and was baptised 08 Mar 1715. This might be my David's father or uncle?

There are also 2 likely marriages for a David TILLEY in Manxton ROX. in 1734 and 1753. Both brides are called Helen.

I need to eliminate these 2 Helens so my David can marry a Mary, who appeared with him in Bellingham about 1774.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this family?

Gen in Northumberland England.
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TILLEY (TULLY) family from ROX???
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 February 12 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look through some of my record - my Dad's mum comes off Tully's in the Roxburghshire area.

the town you mention is Maxton not Manxton it between St Boswells and Kelso.

I have a few records on Northumberland and Tyneside - because my Gr Grandfather was a tailor and I have been told he did part of his apprenticeship in Newcastle with relatives (cousins) I think, still matching up Tully families in the area.

My Tully's are mainly around Kelso, Sprouston & Jedburgh and a few more recent in Hawick.

Offline jansings4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 April 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
I have a Tully connection in Hawick.

Helen Tully, born 1813 Hawick, daughter of David Tully and Janet Turnbull, married George Murray, born 1810 Hawick, son of George Murray and Agnes Yule. 

George Murray and Helen Tully married Sept. 14, 1840, Hawick.  They are my great-great grandparents.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 April 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Jansings

This is interesting! Similar naming patterns there.

Have you the parents of David TULLY father of Helen? I'm guessing not otherwise you would have said......,?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline jansings4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 April 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
David Tully's parents were John Tully and Janet Brown.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 April 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jansing

I will add these TILLEY's to my TILLEY STRAYS database, they might fit in with mine one of these days.

Gen in NBL England

Offline tilley1685

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for my family!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 September 13 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

Im new to this site. I am a Tilley living in London. All of the Tilleys that I have descended from originally came from Bellingham, Northumberland. I Had a David Tilley in my tree from the late 1780- 90s. He was a very long Distant Grandfather of mine.
Tilley1685
Looking for Tilley (Northumberland, Durham and London), Cox (London, Staffordshire), Walker ( Oxfordshire), Costick (London and Sussex), Plumb (London), Martin (London and Kent), Clark (Blackburn), Feasey (Buckinghamshire) And More

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 September 13 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi I think you know who you are:-) Name begins with a J?

Cannot send you a personal message yet until you have posted 3 times.....

Gen in NBL England

Offline tilley1685

• RootsChat Extra
  • Looking for my family!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 September 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
 ;D ahhhhh yesss
Tilley1685
Looking for Tilley (Northumberland, Durham and London), Cox (London, Staffordshire), Walker ( Oxfordshire), Costick (London and Sussex), Plumb (London), Martin (London and Kent), Clark (Blackburn), Feasey (Buckinghamshire) And More