Author Topic: George Woods from Cavan but whereabouts?  (Read 12461 times)

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Woods from Cavan but whereabouts?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 11 12:57 BST (UK) »
Brucky

My great-great-grandfather was also called George Woods and lived in Cavan.  But he is a contemporary of yours, and so not the same guy.  But, perhaps coincidentally, a witness at my George's marriage in 1873 was Susanna Phillips, ie same name as your great-great-grandmother.

The marriage certificate for my George Woods to Ann Gilliland states:

George Woods and Ann Gilliland were married on 13 March 1873 at Loughmourne Presbyterian Church, parish of Aughnamullen, Castleblayney, co Monaghan.  George Woods was a bachelor of "full" age (no figure given) and a farmer residing at Pottle, parish of Bailieborough, co Cavan.  His father was Charles Woods, farmer.  Ann Gilliland was a spinster aged 20 years, no profession, of Aghmakerr (writing isn't too clear), parish of Aughnamullen, co Monaghan.  Her father was Joseph Gilliland, farmer.  The witnesses were James G Mahood and Susanna Phillips.

Although married in a Presbyterian Church (bride's connection), George Woods was Church of Ireland, like your man.  Probably also coincidentally, I note that your George was in the RIC, and my family included several policemen (although later on in Glasgow).

George Woods and Ann Gilliland lived for many years at Mullantra, Kingscourt, co Cavan.  Their children included: Thomas born 1876, George, Annie, Alice born 1878, Robert born 1879, Letitia born c 1881, Emily born 1881, Joseph born 1886, William Henry born c 1890 and Isaac born 1894.

I posted more information about the family on this site last year.  You will find my post down below in the Cavan forum (last post was 7 March 2010).

Anyway, maybe all just little bits of coincidence - or maybe a connection still to be discovered.

Regards

David

Offline mariaserena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:22 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather George Woods was born around 1850 in Cavan, joined RIC in 1868 and married Susan Philips in 1876.  I have his RIC records and his marriage cert but can't find a birth cert or whereabouts in Cavan he was from, his father was also called George.  Can anybody help me?  Thanks, Brucky

I am looking for the very same George Woods who married Susan Phillips. I would love to find out morefrom you. My father who is 81 is hoping I can find out about his mother Frances Mary who was George's daughter born 1892. How are you related? My cousin in northern Ireland is the grandson of Frances's brother Robert

Offline mariaserena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have two marriage records, the first handwritten one lists George as his father but also have another marriage cert from North Tipperary Genealogy Centre and that gives his fathers name as John.  He had nine children including five sons William, George, James, Alfred & Robert so think George is probably the correct name.

Brucky
The records office in Rosscommon tols me he had 4 children Margaret,my grandmother was Frances  , Alfred James who went to USA and Robert who was also in the
 RIC

Offline Brucky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 August 12 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
We're from the same family!  I am delighted to hear from you and will share any information I have. George and Susan had ten children:-

Eliza Jane   1877
William   1879
Susan   1882
George   1884
Anne   1886
James   1888
Margaret   1890
Frances Mary 1892
Alfred James 1894
Robert John 1896

Eliza Jane was my great grandmother. I have George's RIC records and his death cert and some other information which I can give you.

Please send me a PM (personal message) and we can exchange email addresses. I look forward to hearing from you.

Offline mariaserena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 August 12 11:44 BST (UK) »
HI
My email address is (*)
I am working near Kew.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline mariaserena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 August 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Robert's was married to Aileen and they lived in Port Glenone and her daughter * had 4 sons. I have just got back in touch with the eldest who lives in Belfast and is called *, I will let him know that you have replied!

* details of living/possibly living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I reckon you'll already have this, but I think I have just stumbled across your George Woods on the census returns for 1901:

George Woods, Lodger, Church of Ireland, Read & write, Aged 57 years, RIC pensioner, Married, Born co Cavan.

He is living as a lodger in the house of Bernard Beirne, a farmer, in Kilmore, Roscommon.  The other occupants are relations of Bernard Beirne wih the surname Dooner.

Maybe that's some help to you.

David

Offline SusanW59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 October 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brucky and Mariaserena,

My brother and 2 sisters and I are currently researching our family tree and our great Grandfather was William (brother to Eliza Jane and Frances Mary) our GG grandfather was George, so it appears we are also related to you both.

We've just been over to Ireland to Strokestown and Dublin and would love to hear from you both so that we could share information found.

Regards
Susan Woods

Offline SusanW59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 October 13 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Brucky,

Do you know who George was living with when he died in Staffordshire?

Regards Susan