Author Topic: Help needed to enhance a word & make it legible  (Read 802 times)

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help needed to enhance a word & make it legible
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I know it's not a photo but having seen the numerous restorations on here, I wondered if someone could work their magic on a word from a parish register to try & make it legible?

Let me know if I'm posting in the wrong place but I don't think there is enough of the word visible to post in the 'deciphering handwriting' section.  What I have is:

‘James son of Elizabeth Bailey.’ with some feint letters before the word ‘illegitimate’ or something akin to it, is crammed in with an ink splodge before the date ‘Sepr 13’.  So it's the feint letters after Bailey that I would appreciate some work on.  Thanks in advance.  TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to enhance a word & make it legible
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:03 BST (UK) »
Here's full size image - had a bit of trougle getting it below 500kb.  TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:06 BST (UK) »

alias.............(?)

??? ??? ???
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 07:52 BST (UK) »
I agree. It is "alias", then a couple of marks with the pen - no word was ever written there - followed by a shortened version of "illegit[imate]", then "Septr 1[4?]"

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
Hi GR2 and annmck, thanks to you both for your thoughts that the word is 'alias'.

Now you have both pointed it out, it does look sort of obvious but I wasn't sure what is was.

The fouth entry down from the Elizabeth Bailey one also has an 'alias' -William son of William Brown alias Eliz King illegitimate - and both these entries have an 'x' before the 'B' in Baptised so maybe I should have spotted it myself earlier.

Thanks again for your help & interest, it's much appreciated.  Regards, TonyR.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
I have come across this once before and was told that often a space was left to insert reference to the father's name  if known or shared; in some cases you can see a note implying who was the father

e.g. in the case further down the page  William could use either BROWN or KING as a surname
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder