Author Topic: richard barrow gaskarth  (Read 2805 times)

Offline satty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
richard barrow gaskarth
« on: Monday 01 March 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
does anyone know anytrhing about this man who was born on7/5/1889 in uk,moved to canada in 1913 and lived at 3568 imperial street,jubilee,vancouver

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: richard barrow gaskarth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, satty...No need to ever duplicate a query on the same board ( ie: Canada board)...we'll find the one just fine...Duplicate thread with rep[lies here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,441191.0.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline rugee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 March 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello satty,
Richard Barrow Gaskarth or Barrow as he was known to everyone, was my Great Grandfather's (John Lishman Gaskarth) brother.
The family home was at 6 Park View, Cartmel - now in Cumbria, south Lakes. Barrow was a plumber and worked with his father in the family plumbing and painting business in the village. Maud was from Halifax in Yorkshire and I own a really nice post card from Cartmel where Maud writes home to her parents. The couple left for Canada before the first world war and Barrow joined the army, in fact they were married at this time although I don't think he actually so service. This was in contrast to Lishman and his other brothers, the unmarried James being killed at Arras in 1917. There is a story that the couple stayed in Chicago for a short while and where shocked by the sight and sound of gangster's battling in the street outside the hotel.
Barrow's nephew William (Bill) Gaskarth (My Father's uncle) also emigrated to Canada after serving in the Royal Navy during WW2. Bill and his wife Jean (from Troutebeck Bridge) joined Barrow and Maud in a rapidly growing Vancouver but struggled to make a new life at first due in part to Barrow and Maud's indifference. Bill soon established a plumbing firm which may have been linked to Barrow, but I'm not certain about that, and is still in existence today in fragmented form. As a child I was lucky enough to visit 'Great' Uncle Bill on a visit to Canada which was very exciting.
The Gaskarth family have links to Ulverston , where Joseph (Barrow's Father) was born and prior to this Buttermere. The family is proud of its Norse heritage, which has a good chance of being true!
Joseph's wife Grace who was a Lishman from High Cark, just outside Cartmel, has direct links to people living and working in Cartmel in 1618.
Barrow appeared to have visited Canada several times before he and Maud settled and the  Vancouver which they found was largely a 'shanty' town very different from today and hard to imagine, perhaps he still had some of that Viking spirit!
Most of the family lie in the grave yard opposite the race course in Cartmel, 2 minutes walk from  Park View cottages and both James and Barrow are commemorated there.
Hope this is useful, I'm new to this so I'm not sure when you sent you post.
Rugee

Offline satty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 March 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much,i posted this in 2010.I too have a postcard showing maud her brother harry(my grandfather) and their father ellis outside their pub the Kings Arms in cartmel,if you want a copy of this i would be happy to do so.I am not sure what card you have but would be interested in knowing more
regards
and once again thanks
alan sattenstall

Offline rugee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 March 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know that they owned the Kings Arms, that makes a lot of sense. I have a wedding photo of Barrow and Maud with their parents (Barrow in uniform) and a picture of a lead decorated spout head which barrow made as a plumber. The post card, which I mentioned earlier, was of the square but has a nice description of a visit to the Gaskarths on the back and has a Halifax address. I don't know how the post card stayed in Cartmel as I only live a mile away! my Grandmother was Edith Gaskarth Barrow's niece.
There has always been the suggestion that the Gaskarths were connected to the 18th century explorer Sir John Barrow, hence the name Barrow however I've never been able to find this connection other than Sir John came from Ulverston.
Exchanging copies of photos seems like a good idea.
Many thanks,
Russell Gee

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 March 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello rugee and welcome to RootsChat  :).

If you make one more post, even to simply say "Hi", you will be able to then use the Private Message (PM) system on RootsChat to communicate with satty and exchange emails or whatever. Please don't post contact info herein (RootsChat policy).

You or satty  may be in contact with family in Canada already but in case not you will find 4 listings with contact info through this link to the telephone directory. Perhaps one or more might be rellies. Just put in the surname without a location.

http://www.canada411.ca/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline satty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 March 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
i have the picture in electronic format so could easily email it to you,obviously i have a lot of information about maud as i have investigated her family history,how do you want to proceed
alan sattenstall

Offline rugee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 March 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a look for the photos and scan them. It seems that I can attach them to these posts however it would probably be better via the PM private message facility - which 'Polar Bear' has suggested, thanks for that. not really sure yet how to access that so stand by.

Russell.

Offline satty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
the picture i mentioned is attached
regards
alan sattenstall