Author Topic: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton  (Read 7441 times)

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton
« on: Sunday 01 January 12 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Allcock Family arrived in Ontario 1881 from Worcestershire (Hubert, wife Mary Elizabeth, children Joseph, Ralph Leo, Hubert, John, Beatrice V.) Joseph married into the Ware family, Ralph Leo married into the Bowie family, Beatrice Valentine married into the Wilbur family. Beatrice and Ralph and their families moved to the U.S.

Stone Family arrived in Ontario 1910 from Worcestershire (Beatrice and children Harold, Louisa, Albert, Arthur Hubert). Harold stayed in Toronto and married into the Charlton family. One of his sons married into the Sykes family. Louisa married into the Hamlet family. The remainder of the family went to the U.S.

Does anyone share these ancestors?

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: ON Stone, Allcock, Sykes, Charlton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 12 02:51 GMT (UK) »
hi bobbil,

What info are you after? Are you tracing this family forward?

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 12 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying, JDC. I have tracked these families via censuses in the UK, Canada and the US. I am directly related to them and would value any information from the current time and into the past. I have some family photos and information and would like very much to connect with someone who shares these ancestors.
Bobbi L.

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 12 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bobbil,

There are a couple of ways I would approach locating the info you are searching for. The first is to look for trees and tree owners on Ancestry.ca/.com for those matching your ancestors. I took a quick look in Ancestry.ca and there appears to be a couple that do match. When you find matches I would contact the owners to see if they are willing to share/exchange family info with you. If you don't have your own access to Ancestry, many local public as well as LDS family history libraries do have access that you can use.

The other way would be to contact the local public libraries in the areas you have traced them to and then ask the librians to do phone directories lookups to find the residences where these people lived. The TOronto public library has a genealogy department. You can do a lookup yourself on www.canada411.ca afterward to see if you can determine current addresses and phone numbers for your relatives from the directory info.

Hope this helps,

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 January 12 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi BobbiL,

Did Beatrice and Harold Stone move to Buffalo NY? I found a John Harold Stone's from Toronto, son of Beatrice Stone who lived in Buffalo, CEF attestion document on the National Archive of Canada web site. Wondering if heis part of your family?

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 January 12 07:52 GMT (UK) »
HI BobbiL,

DO you have a famly tree on Ancestry?

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 12 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You can check the Toronto Star pages of the past site for birth, marriage and death records of the families who remained in Toronto.  If you know full names, that will be helpful.  It might be a good idea to double check any dates given on online trees... 

http://pagesofthepast.ca/

It is a paid site, but not very expensive. 

I found a very sparse tree online
 http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Hubert_Allcock_(1)

It said that Hubert Allcock jr died in August, 1915.  I did a quick check in the Star and found his obituary in the Aug 27 1915 edition at page 15.  It says he was the second son of the late Herbert Allcock (I think they meant to say Hubert) and Mary E. Allcock.  His full name was Hubert Augustus Allcock and he died Aug 26.  He is buried in Mount Hope cemetery Toronto. 

Perhaps more members of this family would be buried at Mount Hope cemetery?  You could contact them and see.

http://catholic-cemeteries.com/cemeteries/mount-hope-cemetery/

I also see from a birth announcement for Beatrice Valentine Allcock that her father Hubert was a fishing tackle maker in Toronto.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~births/Aa_An_Surnames.htm 
In 1894 when Beatrice was born, the family lived at 184 King Street. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 January 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like this might be the family business

http://www.lib.uwo.ca/programs/companyinformationcanada/ccc-allcock.htm

Allcock, Laight and Westwood Limited - fishing tackle etc. 

RK

Offline BobbiL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 January 12 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, RunKitty, for replying. I had not seen that particular Allcock reference and didn't realize the company had expanded to Canada. My ancestors worked at the Samuel Allcock company in Worcester. On the UK censuses, the men made fishing tackle and the women and young girls did the delicate work of tying fishing flies (the women probably working at home in a cottage industry). Hubert Sr. (often listed as Herbert just to make things interesting) died in 1900.

I am wondering if Hubert A. was killed in World War I. I did not have the date, only that he died young.

Regarding the Toronto Star, is there a search function by name or date? That would make it worth paying for, for sure.

Thanks for the time you spent finding all you did. It is a big help and I will follow up. I appreciate it so much.
Bobbi L.