Author Topic: Parish: Cloone, Leitrim. McHugh/MacArtan  (Read 21613 times)

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish: Cloone, Leitrim. McHugh/MacArtan
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 12 01:37 BST (UK) »
I did see your message Frank but I have not had time to look further into it yet.  I have been trying to get my head around my father's Scottish ancestors before I go to Edinburgh tomorrow to do some research.

Two things for you however.

1: To contact rosiekass try clicking on her name at the left hand side of her post.  You will get her profile which will give you the option to send a personal message.

2: (and if you contact rosiekass can you give her this as well)
If you contact the Valuation Office in Dublin and give them a surname and townland (i.e. McHugh/Drumhallagh) you can obtain a list of who held land in the townland from c.1857 (Griffiths) up to the 20th century.  You used to, and probably still do, get a map as well.

Now these are just lists of people recorded at various times through the years - usually when land/leases changed hands - but it can give a very good idea of possible relationships. (In other words EVEN MORE information to confuse and yet delight)

I don't know the current cost but it was not excessive when I did it some years ago.  Probably no more than £40 sterling (I would hope!)

If you remind me in about 2 weeks (you can try the personal message thingie) I will send you details of all the McHugh records I have for Drimna and Drumhalla.

And in case you are wondering about my motives there is a faint possibility that I have a familial relationship with the Fitzpatricks at least. 

An Anne Fitzpatrick was baptised at Bellakiltyfea in 1843 - daughter to John Fitzpatrick and Ally Conlon.  John's farm was only a couple of hundered yards to the north east from the McHughs of both Drumna and Drumhalla.  Conlon is my grandmother's maiden name and her farm was a couple of hundred yards south east of the same McHughs!

Speak soon.

Offline rosiekass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 September 12 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank
Sorry for not getting back sooner. It's been hectic the last few weeks for me but glad to say that things are now back to normal now.

After reading your messages, I'm sure our ancestors are connected some how but not sure where.

As you know, my 2 x Great Grandparents were James McHugh (b:1829) who married to Rose MacArtan (b:1831). They lived in Drumna, Riverstown, Mohill. Parish: Cloone. I have no idea who their parents or siblings are as I can't find any more information on them. Anyway, they had 11 children, one of which is Francis McHugh (b:1867 – d:1937), my Great Grandfather. He married Ellen Mitchell (b:1874 – d:1943) on 6th Nov 1905 and had 5 children, one of which was my grandmother, Mary Kate McHugh (b:1908 – d:2002). Mary married John Joe Donohoe and they had 4 children. Pat Donohoe lives in Aughnaglace, Mal & Andy in Ireland and Mary (my mother) in Wales.

I would love to get more info on James & Rose McHugh if possible and there children. Plus we need to find the link between your ancestors and mine.

I know Jim mentioned the CONLON's on his last message. My Great Grandmother Ellen Mitchell (mentioned above) parents were Owen Mitchell (b:abt 1844) and Anne Conlon (b: abt 1836). I wonder if there is a connection there to.

Anyway, hope that the above information has helped and cleared a few questions for you. Let me know what you think and may be between us, we could break down a few brick walls.
Great to hear from you.
Regards
Rose

Donohoe, McHugh, Cooney, Mitchell. Cloone, Co Leitrim, Ireland

Offline fmchugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Did you get my message sent to you on 12th December '12.

Regards,
Frank McHugh

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 January 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

I did get your message but unfortunately I have been really busy December and into January and have been unable to get down to things.  I do hope to be less burdened later in January and may be able to get to it then.

Did you contact the Valuation Office?  I found the information from them was really useful - although as I said it did somewhat add to the confusion as well :(

Hope to get back to you soon

Jim

Offline BirishL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am new to this website.  Please forgive me if I did this incorrectly.  I am interested in finding out info on a McHugh family from Leitrim that immigrated to the USA around 1850-1860's.  Some of the kids names are Margaret (born around 1840), Bridget, James, and Catherine. Would you be able to advise me on how to find out who their parents were.  Margaret was my gg-grandmother.

Thank you,
Bonnie

Offline pammycakes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this board too!  My ancestor, Bridget McHUGH is from Cornageeha, in Mohill.  Her parents were Francis and Bridget McDONALD McHUGH (McCue).  Bridget immigrated to NYC about 1850 and married Henry KING.  Bridget had a sister, Ann who immigrated from Leitrim in 1870 and when she died in 1918 in Brooklyn, NY, Bridget asked the court to be the administrator of her will distribution.  From these documents, I found that Bridget and Annie had a sister still living in Bunnybeg, Leitrim named Catherine (Kate) who married a James KENNY and a sister, deceased, named Sarah.  Sarah was married to a Thomas MANNIX and they had 3 sons.  Thomas and Sarah lived in San Francisco, where Thomas was a plasterer.  I tracked down a request from Kate McHugh KENNY to apply for a pension from the british government in 1916.  The government used the 1851 Irish census to confirm her birthdate so the 1851 return of extract is online and confirm the following family members:  Maria 15 yrs, Bridget not present, Anne who died in 1849, kate 5 yrs,, Sarah 3 years, and Honor 7 yrs living in Bunnymore/Cornageeha.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 December 14 15:22 GMT (UK) »