Author Topic: CAPE TOWN ARCHIVES PAYMENT METHODS  (Read 4968 times)

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CAPE TOWN ARCHIVES PAYMENT METHODS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 July 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Everybody, There is so much mis-information regarding the achives in Cape Town I feel it is time to put the record straight. Having spent some time researching there earlier in the year and phoning the head of dept. a few weeks ago for confirmation that nothing has changed, I can confidently state that research has to be done in person and copies requested by filling in forms, The copies are done by their own staff and then posted. No electronics, no e-mail. Eggsa does not work with the Cape Town archives. Many of the documents are very fragile and some may not be copied at all. 
I will be in Cape Town again at the end of the year and happy to search for you then. Professional researchers are available but expensive.  In the meantime I have managed to persuade a family member to go to the archives for just his expenses. Please pm me if interested.
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 August 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
The system at Capetown Archives seems to work. After reading this thread I decided to give the official records system a go. I went through the digitised records found some important ones and sent the record information off to the Archives. After a few days I got a reply with a form to sign and informing me that a quotation for the records I asked for would arrive within 10 days, which it did.
At R-80 a page it fairly quickly added up to what looked like a fairly hefty bill, But not at all as hefty as most countries, until I figured in the Exchange rate to Australian Dollars and found it was going to cost me a couple of Aus Dollars. Wow, great value, so then I went and collected all the records I could find, may as well get everything at the one time, Emailed that list off and duly received a quote. The money to be paid by a bank draught on a South African bank, after a medium amount of anxst we finally got the cheque and it is in an envelope ready to be posted to the good people at the Archives.
So all in all the system is a bit clunky but it does work, and the people at the Archives are very obliging so I am happy.
Scott Richards Collas Williams

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 November 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Yoohoo it finally arrived after nearly four months.
The quality of the records are great as far as information goes but gee it would be nice if things could happen quicker.
So for anyone contemplating using the Western Cape archives go for it. It cost us far more to get a bank cheque drawn on a South African Bank than it did for a stack of records. Really the cost is peanuts but they really need to have a look at modernising how they do things. We found it quite strange not being able to do a direct transfer of funds and needing to resort to a bank cheque. (Who writes cheques these days)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 November 14 13:41 GMT (UK) »
We have had a postal strike for over three months now which is why it took so long.   >:(

Normally it should get to you a lot quicker!
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 November 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nookie

I wasn't actually expecting it at all because of the strike, I guess international mail is still moving but slowly.
The records are really good, strange though to get Victoria Australia Death Certs via South Africa, another oddity is they were transcribed to South African documentation by the "South African Association" and every time they did this they changed the name from Rourke to O'Rourke, this possibly means we have missed some O,Rourkes that may be ours. Three deaths over twenty years and each time the name Rourke on the Victoria  Australia DC was mistranscribed to O'Rourke.
It seems our people still had property in South Africa and were probably still citizens of SA so probably why Death Certs were required in both places.

Offline PinkFairy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, just an update on my experience.

i paid for my documents by EFT Electronic Funds Transfer. I started doing it via online banking but unfortunately the minimum transfer is $100 Australian dollars and mine was well under this. So i went to the bank to do the EFT. Emailed a copy of the paper work to the lovely Henry (he is such a lovely person). I went to the bank on the 30.09.14 and Henry posted the documents on the 27.10.14 and i very excitedly received them yesterday 25.11.2014!!! so a little less than 2 months!!! i thought i wouldnt get it until next year with the strike.

I was just wondering if anyone could advise, when i sent the request for documents there was a mix of Estate papers, death notices and a mortgage bond but when i got the documents they were all only death notices. but i did notice at the very bottom of the notice it asks questions about movable/ unmovable property and estate over 300.00 is this all the information that you get that relates to estate the person had left? i was just expecting estate documents and 1 mortgage bond aswell as death notices as per what i found on the archives site?

and just one more question, im guessing some of the information on the death notice especially regarding parents of the deceased / partner and children is only as accurate as the informant knows?

thanks a million :)

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 04:54 GMT (UK) »
If you ordered copies of all the documents from each file you should have been sent them all.  However if you only asked for the death notices that is what you would receive.  Perhaps you should query Hendrick.  The estate file should contain the will as well, together with the liquidation and distribution account.

If the informant on the death notices was not a relative then often there is 'missing' information i.e. a child not listed or full names listed incorrectly.  Mind you that also has happened on notices that I received when a relative was the informant.  As the notice was filled out by a clerk sometimes the spelling leaves something to be desired as well.

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline PinkFairy7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 20:43 GMT (UK) »
what a bummer :( yeah i double checked my list and i did ask for a mix of death notices and estate files and the 1 mortgage bond. and all i got was death notices.

well thats handy to know some of the death notices have next to nothing but the deceased name and their address.

thanks for your advise :)