Author Topic: Sources for possible war-related deaths  (Read 4478 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sources for possible war-related deaths
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 18:09 BST (UK) »
I have researched a church's war memorials for the two world wars and have a small number of WW2 names unsolved.
The vicar of the time compiled a list which proved a useful guide but most entries had one or more errors. 
One of the unsolved notes is as follows:
"FORMBY, E.O.    Radio Officer, Merchant Navy.
Died ?/2/41.   Res: South Mossley Hill Road.[Liverpool]"
He does not appear in the War Graves Commission's Register, nor in a local newspaper's death announcements.  He is not listed among radio operators who lost their lives in WW2, held at merseyside Maritime Museum.  I know that some merchant navy deaths were not recognised by CWGC.  I do not know if the initials are correct, and no one of that name appears in FreeBMD, a  pre-war local directory or in the voting register.
Rootschatters have delivered the goods for me many times, so my fingers are crossed in hope of suggestions.

Ainslie

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
Re: Sources for possible war-related deaths
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
Contact the group 'In From The Cold' they do outstanding work researching deaths not on the CWGC register that should be.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
Drew
Thanks for the suggestion.  I am aware of the IFTC group and their excellent work, but they would need more than I can give them at present.
Where are Deaths at Sea available?  That could help with the present case and another one or two.
A

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
You might find something here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Drew
Thanks for the suggestion.  I am aware of the IFTC group and their excellent work, but they would need more than I can give them at present.
Where are Deaths at Sea available?  That could help with the present case and another one or two.
A

A chap on WW2Talk.com called Hugh Maclean in the MN expert on there, I believe he even has his own WW2 MN website. Ask him - I know the TNA have MN seamen's purses but I've only looked at those of men who survived the war so not sure if they'd contain any death related info.

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 August 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
Drew
Thanks for the advice.  I shall follow it.
A

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Ainslie,

E.O. Formby.

I can see no one by that name recorded in the DAS Index or Register for 1941. The only other Formby recorded for 1939-1945 is also not a match. As with any other major database there are mistakes and omissions but I would suggest if his name is recorded correctly he did not die at sea. Of course any further details on this man would help to pin him down. The other avenue to go down would be to check his CRS 10 (Service record from Jan 1941), if it has survived. This file would be held at the National Archives, Kew.

Regards
Hugh   
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 August 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hugh
Thanks to you, too.  The trouble is that I cannot rely on any part of the list left by the vicar, so am having to clutch at straws.  I will try the CRS 10, if it exists.
A

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 August 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
As he is supposed to have died in February 1941 I have to say it is a very long shot indeed. These files were started from January 1941 so I would say it is only worth a look if nothing else to cross it off your list (but you never know). Anyway the file you would need to look at would be BT 382/598 - Formby E to Forsey W G. - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details?Uri=C10988823

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO