Author Topic: Searching for the McDermotts of Duncrun Limavady.  (Read 5413 times)

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for the McDermotts of Duncrun Limavady.
« on: Monday 28 March 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
It is a while since my previous posts and thankyou to all those who answered them. This time I am looking for help tracing my ancestors the Mc Dermotts of Duncrun. The only information that I have for them is from my Great great grandparents marriage Certificate in 1871. When Elizabeth Mc Dermott from Duncrun Limavady married James Cummings fromBallycarton. in Belarena church. On the marriage certificate her fathers name is given as Charles Mc Dermott.  That is all I know.

I know absolutely nothing more and I am desperately trying to find out more about the Mc Dermotts of Duncrun.

If anyone has any information I would very much appreciate it.

Sumerhill

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the McDermotts of Duncrun Limavady.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
     A little information. The Griffiths Valuation of 1858 for Co. Londonderry, gives a Charles McDermott who rented a 40 Acre farm in the townland of Duncrun from the Heygate Family. the major landowners in the area.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Kingskerswell.  However would you know if there are any estate books or heygate family papers available in PRONI. I am anxious to discover the names of Charles'Wife and other children.  Also I know estate books could give information of previous McDermott tenants if there were any '

Also would you what church records I could try? or even thename of  parish church which would have covered Duncrun?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I have never looked for Heygate Estate records in PRONI but there is an E-Catalogue on line for PRONI records. google proni e catalogue, As for churches there were three in the Bellarena area, the parish church of Tamlaghtard ( Magilligan), the Presbyterian Church of Magilligan and the Roman Catholic Church, St. Aidans.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 11:45 BST (UK) »
These are possibly  members of your family buried in St Aiden's Mixed Churchyard

McDermott 
Alexander Duncrun 17 April 1925 -65   His wife Mary Principal of Duncrun School for about 30 years d 1 Oct 1931 -70   His brother John 12 July 1929 - 75
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
These are possibly  members of your family buried in St Aiden's Mixed Churchyard

McDermott 
Alexander Duncrun 17 April 1925 -65   His wife Mary Principal of Duncrun School for about 30 years d 1 Oct 1931 -70   His brother John 12 July 1929 - 75
PRONI has Will Extract for Alexander McDermott of Duncrum-
"McDermott Alexander of Duncrum county Londonderry farmer died 17 April 1925 Probate Londonderry 20 November to Mary McDermott widow. Effects £20."

Also, his wife Mary-
"McDermott Mary of Duncrun county Londonderry widow died 1 October 1931 Probate Londonderry 11 November to William McDermott mechanic. Effects £348 12s. 8d."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Valuation of all the lands of Magilligan in November 1826 shows Edward McDermott renting 43 a 2 r 5 p of land in Woodtown.
There are no McDermotts in North or South Duncrun.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information Cyclamen & Aghadowey.

The Mc Dermotts that are buried in St. Aidens are probably family members alright.  I did look up the Census for 1901 & 1911 and indeed there was Alexander & Mary McDermott occupation teacher & a brother living in Duncrun.  It seemed that this couple had married late in life and were only 1 year married at that time. Living with a bachelor brother.   But I was not certain at the time that they were related. But I have checked through family names & it seems likely that they are related .

But I would dearly like to know a bit more about the Mc Dermotts and to see if I could get more names etc.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much everyone, for all your replies.

I appreciate all the trouble you have gone to & I am very grateful.