Author Topic: Deanfield??  (Read 3192 times)

Offline KG88

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deanfield??
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Ok, so I'm new to this and am unsure if this is possible, but here goes.

So, I am searching for the history on a place rather than a family. It is Deanfield on the Limavady road in derry. More so on the main Deanfield house, now a nursing home. I know that the Anderson family lived there, Robert and Lydia Anderson and their 5 (including 1 death) children, and all I know about them is that Robert was mayor of derry for a while and so was one of his sons, Lt-Commander Albert Wesley Anderson, who was married at Deanfield house. But, I am wondering if anyone knows who was there before the Andersons, after them, maybe along with them? (it is a large house), when they left and if anyone has any old photos of the house? Any help would be much appreciated  :)

Thanks
Kylie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deanfield??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 17:57 BST (UK) »
Kylie,
       I cannot help with Deanfield house but Robert and his wife lived in Dacre Terrace in the 1911 census with three of their children, including Albert Wesley. This house is nowadays on a roundabout at the western side of the Foyle bridge and can be viewed on Google maps using Streetview.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KG88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yea, I was looking at the 1911 census when they lived in Dacre Terrace, but they did move to the Deanfield House at a time too. There are photos of the house then, and they are there on ancestry.com along with ones of Albert Wesley marrying there. The Andersons owned the Deanfield estate, and Alberts daughter has a newspaper clipping of #6 Deanfield, as the house they grew up in close to her grandmothers home on ancestry.com ... I have contacted those who added the photos to serif they had any more, but I thought I would try here too :) Census records after 1911 would be helpful, but :( ... the end of the attached newspaper article is what lead me to them. I also work there now, and people have told me what they know about the Anderson family... I'm just interested in more, and the history of the building... :)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 July 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
One possibility would be to try to trace it on Valuation Revision Books on PRONI's website.  I have had a quick look at Limavady Road without spotting it but local knowledge might just lead you to it. I note that the road seemed to have been called Clooney Road in earlier times. 

Also if you have a look at Deanfield Park in Revision Book VAL/12/B/33/4D (1910 - 1930) page 94, you will see Sir Robert Anderson living there at 9BCa which is described as a gate lodge and land. 

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 03:06 BST (UK) »

The wills at PRONI might offer up information on the house and other family members:

Anderson Robert Newton James of Deanfield Waterside Londonderry hosiery manufacturer died 18 October 1943 at the Mater Hospital Dublin Eire Probate Londonderry 9 January to dame Lydia Elizabeth Anderson married woman. Effects £1034 5s. 6d.

Anderson the right honourable sir Robert Newton of Deanfield Londonderry knight privy councillor and deputy lieutenant died 23 May 1948 at Galloway House Dumfries Scotland Probate Londonderry 6 September to lady Lydia Elizabeth Anderson C.B.E. widow of testator and Henry Samuel Robinson clerk of the crown and peace. Effects £17659 12s. 6d.

Anderson, C.B.E., lady Lydia Elizabeth of Deanfield House Londonderry widow died 22 January 1963 Probate Londonderry 28 June to Lily Avril Crabtree married woman Ida Isabella Marguerite Anderson spinster and Albert Wesley Anderson company director. Effects £1226 11s.