Author Topic: Given, Slaghtybogy  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Given, Slaghtybogy
« on: Saturday 04 October 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I am just starting my search on the Given's and would love some help or advice.

My gggrandmother is Mary Ann(e) Given, who according to the 1911 uk census was born in the parish of Maghera c1858.

She married Joseph McCorry on the 12 November 1874 at Lavey RC Church, Termoneeny. She is listed as a servant aged 20 with an address of Slaghtbogy. Her father is listed as Thomas Given a farmer.

She moved to England between 1878 and 1881 and I have the details of her life after that. It's her family in Ireland I am interested in.

I haven't been able to find a christening or birth at the moment, but on my searches came across the following record:
GIVEN Matilda Thomas GIVEN Nancy Slatiebogie Maghera Loughinshollen Londonderry 1851 Parents married 1845, Matilda 2yrs.

This seems to be the right area and would suggest that Matilda may be her sister and her parents may be Thomas and Nancy Shephard who were married 8th June 1845, Maghera. In searching the marriages around the time that Mary was married I found Matilda's marriage as well as that of a Hill Given, who could possibly be a brother if this is the right family.

Can anyone add anything or send me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Holly
"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Given, Slaghtybogy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 October 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hill Given in 1901 and 1911- listed as Church of Ireland:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Curragh/1544683
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Slaghtybogy/611052

Wonder if this is another brother?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Slatabogey/1544943
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Slaghtybogy/611054
"Given Thomas of Slaghtybogy Maghera county Londonderry retired labourer died 25 February 1934 at Upperlands in said county Probate Londonderry 16 April to John Johnstone Given linen worker. Effects £2."

Another possible relation?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Slatabogey/1544963

The Valuation Revision books which follow on from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation are online (www.proni.gov.uk)- cover from mid 1800s to c1930- and allow you to see the change in tenant's name for a particular property in a particular townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 October 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
"I haven't been able to find a christening or birth at the moment, but on my searches came across the following record:
GIVEN Matilda Thomas GIVEN Nancy Slatiebogie Maghera Loughinshollen Londonderry 1851 Parents married 1845, Matilda 2yrs."

Going by the above pension record and the marriage of a Matilda Given to John Hamilton this could be Matilda & family:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Maghera/Craigmore/1545067
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Maghera/Craigmore/611144

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 October 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey,

Thank you for your information. I will look into Thomas being another brother, it does look very likely. I have seen the listing for Hill on my searches before. I've kept a record of them all now hoping it turns out to be Mary Ann's family. Looking at the Anne aged 86 on the 1901, I wonder if she could be the mother Nancy? She is listed as not married, but as she couldn't read, maybe it was recorded wrong and should have been widowed?

I will take a look at the valuation revision books and see if I find anything. Thanks.

That does appear to be the right Matilda in 1901 and 1911.

Thanks again.

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

After looking through the Valuation revision books, I think that the Anne in 1901 really could be Nancy as she is the one listed at that time on the books.

From the books I have gathered that the following Given's are listed:

8c (House & Garden): James Given until sometime between 1884 and 1893 (the page that shows the different colors relating to what year is missing in this book) when it is now listed to Nancy Given. The Given's do not appear for this house after 1894.

13 (Land) & 14b (House & Garden): Thomas Given until sometime between 1884 and 1893 when Nancy takes over. Number 13 the land is not the Given's after 1894, but 14b remains listed as Nancy until 1906 when Thomas Given takes over.

14a (House & Land): James Given until 1906 when it is taken over out of family.

19 &20c (House & land): Robert Given until 1874 when listed as Rachel Given and stays as Rachel until 1913.

23c (Land): From 1864 is listed to Mrs Givin (sometimes it looks like an e sometimes an i) until around 1902 (I need to go back and check that.)

Cheers,
Holly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
"8c (House & Garden): James Given until sometime between 1884 and 1893 (the page that shows the different colors relating to what year is missing in this book) when it is now listed to Nancy Given. The Given's do not appear for this house after 1894."
Did you check on the far right-hand page to see if colour/year are shown there?

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure. The others were in the front of the book. I think I searched the page, but I will go back and check again, I may have missed it.

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 October 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

Thanks for that tip, tonight is the first time i've seen these books. It did actually have it there.

Nancy took over in 1884 and it was taken over by someone else in 1887. It was the same year she took over Thomas'. James seems to keep the other one until 1906. So I'm assuming that Thomas died around 1884.

Cheers, Holly

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
There seems to be a Thomas Given age 77 who died in 1880. Magherafelt Reg district. That seems a bit too old though doesn't it?

Holly