Author Topic: Given, Slaghtybogy  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Given, Slaghtybogy
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

Found another pension record:

MORROW Sarah James GIFFEN or GIVEN Nancy GIFFEN Ballinacross Maghera Loughinshollin Londonderry 1851 James GIVEN 35 married 1835, Nancy 40 wife, Mary 14, Robert 12, Thomas 10, Nancy 8, James 3, Sarah 1. Also - Nancy MONTGOMERY 41 widow married 1831, Mary J. GIVEN 19 daur, John GIVEN 14 son, Mary GIVEN 11 daur, Margaret GIVEN 10 daur, David GIVEN 6 son, Thomas GIVEN 5 son, Nancy GIVEN 30 step daur, Thomas MONTGOMERY 70 father married 1800, James GIVEN 16 stepson absent, Willian GIVEN 27 stepson absent, Jane GIVEN 23 stepdaur absent, Maty GIVEN 20 stepdaur absent, James GIVEN 47, husband died 1843.

and an unsuccesful one:
MORROW Sarah James GIFFEN Nancy GIFFEN Slaghtybogy Maghera Loughinshollin Londonderry Worked with Robert JOHNSTON. 1851 Robt. JOHNSTONE'S family found. Applicant not on form. Brothers and sisters of Sarah - Robert GIVEN, Thomas, James, Maria, Nancy Ann.

Am I right in thinking this could be James? If so looks like his wife was also Nancy? I need to sit and try to work out who all these people are.

Holly
"All lookups are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's more complicated when you have a surname that's not uncommon in a particular area/parish/townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 October 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
There only seems to be a few households but there is enough of them to make it very confusing.

The pension record says her father James worked with Robert Johnson, who was the owner of the land James had. As his and Thomas' land was so close I thought it was possible that they were brothers. From what they found it seems that:

James was 35 married in 1835 to Nancy aged 40. They had Mary 14, Robert 12, Thomas 10, Nancy 8, James 3 and Sarah 1.

Then living in the household was also Nancy Montgomery widow married 1831. She had children listed as Mary J 19, John 14, Mary 11, Margaret 10, David 6, Thomas 5. Also there was Thomas Montgomery her father 70. As well as Nancy 30 her step daughter. There are several step children listed as absent - James 16, William 27, Jane 23, Maty 20. It states her husband was James Given 47 who died 1843.

That's where it's all confusing to me. Am I understanding it right?

We have a James born in 1796. Children listed to him start being born in 1821. when he's 25 which sounds reasonable. He has a son James born in 1835. His family are living with James born 1816. Where does he fit in? Is he a nephew? Son (though that sounds weird). And where does Thomas fit into all this?

I'm so confused and don't know what else out there would help clear it up.
Holly.

Offline Ottawa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 March 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
The Nancy Montgomery and that Given line is my direct line.  Her husband James is my Great Grandfather.  Would be interested in exchanging any info on the Given line.

Offline Holly Golightly

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 March 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hey there,

I don't really have much more information than I posted here and am not sure how they all connect but would be happy to try and work it out with you and see if you can shed some light on it.

Cheers,
Holly

Offline Ottawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 March 16 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Send me an email at (*), and I will send you what I have. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Ottawa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 12 March 16 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks