Author Topic: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854  (Read 38159 times)

Offline FMcnicol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John McNicol m Ann Leitch 1854
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
If no one comes forward with copies of these articles I will obtain copies.  Just let me know.

I am in Scotland and only 2 1/2 hours from Glenorchy.  Unfortunately I work full time and a lot of research places are not open at the weekends.

Fiona

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your kind offer Fiona. I would think the newsletter articles would be of interest to lots of McNicol researchers so I'm hoping someone already has them, and can share them. If not, I would hope you would find them interesting for your own research if you were go to the trouble of acquiring them. (How far from Glasgow are you?)

The information you provided re the memorial inscription has left me with a couple of other questions. (I don't suppose you have a photo?) The fact that it shows John McNicol dying in Australia on 24 Jul 1891 rather than 24 Jul 1889 per burial records here doesn't bother me - not an uncommon mistake. But based on the names and dates listed, which pretty well matched up to the Finlay and Ann family I'd selected from the 1841 and 1851 censuses (with guidance from people on this forum) as my "best guess", I wonder:

- why Mary (b 1835 and showing in the 1841 and 1851 censuses) isn't mentioned as either having died or helping with the erection of the memorial
- who the Ann is who did join Christina to erect the memorial
- whether Ann could possibly be Mary
- whether the Christina who helped with the memorial is also the Christina listed last

Also, though not from census data, I also have a Margaret born to Finlay and Ann in 1824. So how come she doesn't rate a mention one way or the other? 

Any suggestions?

I can't find IGI entries for births for many of them (just Duncan chr 3 May 1828), and too many options for marriages. I wonder whether they were non-conformists and so I shouldn't expect to find such detail in this case. Can anyone give me advice on this?

Lots of wondering! (The lot of a family history researcher!)
G
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 August 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society
Research Centre

~~~~~~~~

Our research centre and meeting place at Unit 13, 32 Mansfield Street, Partick in Glasgow, is situated just off Dumbarton Road and within easy reach of Kelvinhall Underground Station. It is well served by public transport and is open:-

Tuesdays from 2pm to 4.30pm
Thursdays from 10am to 8:30pm
Saturdays from 2pm to 4:30pm
except for Easter Saturday and 3-4 weeks over Christmas & New Year
The Second Saturday of each month from 12 noon to 4:30pm
Note Non-members can join the Society when they visit and then get immediate access to the collections.
Facilities include photocopier, research computers, microfiche and microfilm viewers, a fiche/film copier and access to the Internet. Guidance is available to members on request.

~~~~~~~~

Our library holdings are listed here

In addition we hold:

The 1841, 1851 and 1861 census films for our area & the indexes for these.
The 1881 census & indexes for the whole of Scotland, England & Wales.
The 1891 census index for the whole of Scotland and the films for our area.
The 1901 census index for the whole of Scotland and the films for our area.
See Library list for more detail.

GLASGOW & WEST OF SCOTLAND FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY,
UNIT 13,
32 MANSFIELD STREET,
GLASGOW G11 5QP
SCOTLAND.

http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/researchcentre.aspx

Newsletter

~~~~~~~~

A lively Newsletter is published three times a year (October, March and June) and includes summaries of talks given at meetings, book reviews, articles, queries and members’ surname interests, letters etc. Members queries are free of charge in the newsletter.

The research computers in the research centre all have the complete Newsletters issues 37 to the current issue installed in a fully searchable computerised format. Visitors to the Research Centre can find, for instance, every occurrence of the word 'Macgregor' or 'shipbuilding' anywhere in the entire Newsletter collection for this period at the click of a button. See also Newsletter Index below.

The Editor welcomes contributions from members for possible inclusion in the Newsletter. Articles etc. to:
The Editor.

http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/journal.aspx

Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline FMcnicol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 August 10 07:02 BST (UK) »
I don't have a photo of the grave, but I am hoping to go up to Dalmally where the Glenorchy Kirk is very soon.  There is the Dalmally show on the 4 September.  The Church is beautiful and in a fantastic setting with the Cruachan range for a backdrop.  I have taken children there for a picnic in the past.

Mistakes on grave stones are common.  I have a Nicol McNicol from Arivean on the grave stone he is from Arrvean.  Communication wasn't as good as it is now so a notification of death from Australia may have taken time to get here and by the time the grave stone was erected the engraver may have been given the wrong year or simply made a mistake.

I may not be able to get to Dalmally on the 4 September as we are getting 4 foster children for respite that weekend.  I will try to get up sometime soon.  I am only 35 miles from Glasgow so may be able to get there sooner. When I get the rare chance to go to New Register House or the Archives in Edinburgh I will look this family up. 

I have been researching the McNicols on and off for 25 years (been married to a McNicol for over 26 years) and still working on it, so patience is needed  :-)

There will be a connection to my McNicols too, but how ...... ?

Fiona

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 August 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
You're wonderful! Thank you for all your past help and offers of future assistance. I wish I could be there to visit Dalmally with you - one day perhaps! 

Thanks too for reminding me that I shouldn't berate myself for not having solved the McNicol mysteries within a year or so of starting that journey and from the other side of the world!  Patience is not a strong point... Nor is accepting the fact that some brick walls will always remain.

Warm regards,

G

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Just a minor correction that may be of interest to some reading this thread:

My earlier references to Jessie Collard McNicol (1915-1976, m Gaffy), daughter of William Donald McNicol and Sarah Daisy Collard should be Tessie Collard McNicol, though it would be wise to search under both names as I've found references to both.

Happy hunting,

Giuliana

Offline 11tilly11

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 11:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know these McNicols

Mary McNicol

Birth Date: 12 Aug 1777
Birthplace: STRALACHLAN,ARGYLL,SCOTLAND
Father's Name: Nicol Mcnicol
Mother's Name: Isabel Stewart

Mary Married Dugald Ferguson in Strachur in 1800
Ferguson-Strachur/Stralachlan/Campbeltown before 1850
Ferguson-Old Monklands/West Calder 1840+
McNicol-Strachur/Stralachaln before 1800
McGlashan-Strachur/Stralachlan before 1790
Pringle-Lanark 1800+

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Leanne,

I'm sorry there's nothing in my tree that's going to help you. Your Mary would probably be the same generation as my Finlay (b abt 1790) or perhaps even the generation before, and I know nothing further back than Finlay.

Hopefully others will be more help than I am!

Giuliana

Offline Carrieton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 October 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hello
I too am descended from Mary McNicol b. 1786 & Duguld Ferguson b. 1780  who married in Stralachlan 27 January 1801. I have names (tentative) for their parents but no birth dates for them yet. This is my first ever chat. I hope I'm doing it correctly. I have just been in Strachur and drove to the bottom of the peninsula so I suppose I went through Stralachlan. I did photograph the castle.

I descend through their son Nicol Ferguson b 1806 Stralachlan.