Author Topic: Was the marriage in Scotland?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Was the marriage in Scotland?
« on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:01 BST (UK) »
I have a problem that has been worrying us for years and wonder if anyone can help at least eliminate a possibility.

Catherine Logan was baptised in Holy Trinity parish church Berwick upon Tweed in 1838 her parents were James Logan a husbandsman and Jess Edmeson ( on her birth certificate he is a farmer
1841 Catherine Logan age 3 was living with George and Margaret Sharp in Mariners Cottage Berwick upon Tweed he was a Mariner in 1851 Catherine is a servant living still with the Sharps
In 1856 she married as Catherine Sharp in Berwick upon Tweed in the High meeting house

There is no further sighting of Jess Edmeson or Jess Logan
There is a James Logan living in Cornhill Northumberland in 1841 with an Isabella and on subsequent censuses James is born 1813 in Berwick Upon Tweed and is an ag lab Isabella is born 1812 Kirknewton

No marriage  has been found for James LOGAN and Isabell about 1840 or for James Logan and Jess Edmeston about 1838

There is a death for a Jane Logan in 1840 in Berwick but this was Wife of John a Mariner and she was 36 ie born 1804
I have wondered if James and Jess ever married did she say her husband was a mariner to explain his absence and was she a servant of the Sharps when she died and they kindly looked after Catherine but why change the husbands name from James to John? and if the James with Isab. is right wasn't the Jane who died in 1840 too old to be Jess.

So can anyone see a marriage for James Logan and Isabella about 184o in the boarders ? was he a widower?

I know its a long shot

can anyone see a marriage for a James Logan and Jess Edmeson?

She is not the Jane Edmison born 1813 daughter of Alexander and Margaret as that one emigrated with her parents and siblings in 1832 and died in Canada in 1904 so can't be having Catherine in 1838

Many Thanks
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Was the marriage in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
The only things that I have picked up so far, is the marriage of a Thomas Logan to Darcas Edmeston at Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland, England, on the 2nd June 1746.
Also, the December 1844 marriage of Eleanor Alder Edmeston in Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland, England.
There is an 1842 birth for a Jesse Edmaston at Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland, England.
A Marriage for a Joseph Edmiston to a Margaret Tait, December 1808, at Coldstream, Berwick.
Several spellings of the surname.

Regards

Malky

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for trying. It is a hard one there are several entries in Golden Square chapple in Berwick for children of Alexander Edmison and Margaret Drydale  all these emegrate to Canada along with a few grandchildren and spouses. There were at least two Edmeson mayors of Berwick upon Tweed
The name has many spellings even with in one family.
Jess can also have many guises Jane Janet Jean and so on.
All I have 100% proof of is that Catherine Sharp married Henry McMullin at the High meeting house 12 Dec 1856. no father's name or occupation was given for Catherine. On censuses after her marriage she is always born Berwick on Tweed in 1838. This is consistant withthe Catherine Logan who was living with George and Margaret Sharp in 1841 and 1851. This in turn lead us to finding the birth certificate for Catherine Logan 9 Apr 1838 daughter of James LOGAN a farmer and Jess Edmeston and a baptism in Holy Trinity of Catherine Logan  6 May 1838 daughter of James and Jessie LOGAN Husbandsman of Greens Berwick upon Tweed. It looks too much of a coincidence for Catherine Sharp not to be Catherine Logan.  Did her parents marry was the James married to Isabella her father Was her mother the Jane Logan who died in 1840 but if so why does the death certificate say her husband was John a mariner?

It really is a mystery

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
Did you see the entry in the non-conformist register for an Edmiston daughter b 18 Dec 1813 in Berwick-Upon-Tweed.  Unfortunately the only part of her given shown because of the binding is an "e"
Father is Alex mother is Margaret no maiden name.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
yes just turn the page (use the button at the bottom of the image)and you can see the whole entry this is the Jane that went to Canada in 1832 with her parents Alexander and Margaret,and siblings (they are all in the same register and ages and names match the Canadian imegtants. Jane died in 1904 so didnot have Catherine in 1838. Sad as that had excited usit was just too good to be true. Is it possible that Jess was not married to James even though he gave Catherine his surname on both her birth registration and baptism. Is it possible Jess lodged with the Sharps and told them her husband was at seashe died of TB leaving Catherine to be looked after by the old Sharps if the husband was made up was his name also made up so the 1840 death really was Catherine's mum after alland the James with Isabella is Catherine's father. This James is 9 years younger than the Jane who died in 1849 though. Her death would make a liason with Isabella easier though. I just feel he is Catherine's father
An I just clutching at strawsa and whisful thinking?

mcmullin.me.uk