Author Topic: Armstrong-Blair Marriage circa 1841  (Read 18700 times)

Offline North Gower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong-Blair Marriage circa 1841
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 December 11 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Berlin,

Just a couple of areas where I have questions.

There are 23 Armstrongs listed on the kabristan.org website for cemeteries in Leitrim ( 12 are Dromahair records). If you were even able to let me know which ones you know or suspect are your family, that might help me to concentrate on the others.

Armstrong Adam
Dromahaire Old Church County Leitrim

Armstrong Anna M
Dromahaire Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong Benjamin
Manorhamilton Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong Benjamin

Armstrong E

Armstrong Elizabeth

Armstrong Henry E
Carrick Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong Isabella
Annaghduff Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong James

Armstrong John
Killenumery Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong Lizzie

Armstrong Margaret

Armstrong Margaret
Killenumery Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong Margaret
Newtowngore Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Armstrong Patrick

Armstrong Robert

Armstrong Sarah G

Armstrong Simeon

Armstrong Simon

Armstrong Thomas

Armstrong William

Armstrong William

Armstrong Willie
Carrick Church of Ireland County Leitrim

Looking at today's maps, Dromahair and Manorhamilton appear to be about 8 miles apart, as the crow flies. Do you think there were any other CofI  churches between them, in the 1800's? I am sort of trying to puzzle out for myself, if there were just the two, which one of the churches families on farms in between them might have attended. In this sense, our Adam was born in Dromahair according to family records - would folks have said "Dromahair" back then, because that is where the church was, or did it literally mean in Domahair, to the exclusion of any other settlement/village in between them? My idea here is that many of our first names in later generations seem very similar to the Manorhamilton names. I guess it depends too how many generations the Armstrongs lived there and how they might have spread within an area of 25 or 50 miles, to get land to farm. As far that goes, Killenumery (sp?) is very close-by too.

As far as the Grimes are concerned, I have searched the Irish indexes for all Thomas Grimes in every county, and none of them seem to be able to match the father/son in my wife's family. If you have any good ideas on counties where I should continue to search, may be you would be so kind as to pass them on.

The gentleman who did the other Grimes genealogies, here, spent a lot of time in Ireland looking, without any success. It was known to them that Michael Grimes was from Tipperary. My sense is that the origins are now lost in time, and not in the records that have been retrieved in recent years. Even Michael is not found in the online Irish index records.

What I saw in the indexes seems to suggest more Grimes back then in counties further east, around Dublin, or maybe that is just the records still existing which give that impression. We have a friend from Cork who said she had never heard the name in Ireland, so  it may be somewhat regionalized. Some say the Grimes name comes from Graham, also a Scottish borders name.

Take care, Merry Christmas.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 December 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Looking at today's maps, Dromahair and Manorhamilton appear to be about 8 miles apart, as the crow flies. Do you think there were any other CofI  churches between them, in the 1800's? I am sort of trying to puzzle out for myself, if there were just the two, which one of the churches families on farms in between them might have attended.

re this point...

the town of Manorhamilton is on the border of two civil/Church of Ireland parishes : Cloonclare and Killasnet. Dromahair is in the civil/CofI parish of Drumlease.

Parts of the parishes are adjacent but there is a parish between a section of Cloonclare and Drumlease - namely Cloonlogher.

See the maps on the Irish Times website : Civil parish - Co. Leitrim

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline North Gower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 December 11 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

Thank you so very much. I guess you are online right now too, as I was stunned to see a reply so quickly.

That is very helpful information. Also,  you have introduced me to a new website, which seems very promising  for this and other research I am doing.

I try to put myself into the times and places of what/who I am looking for. No trains, roads or vehicles, just wagon/cart tracks and streams/rivers, old native American trails and so on, how far a person could walk or ride on horseback in a few hours, how far they could have gone to find a spouse, etc.

My wife and I have ancestors also from the very, very beginning of French Canada, to the Great Plains of the United States and Canada in the time of covered wagons and buffalo still running wild (as late as early 1900's), to Paris and Cumbria in the 1500's.

As a result of your information, I am going to look even harder in Leitrim, to see if there are any other avenues I should be following.

Do you still live around there?

Thank you.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 December 11 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I live in South County Dublin..

re those parishes - these are details of the surviving records available for them (start dates) :

Cloonclare - baptisms 1816, marriages 1816, death/burials 1816
  Killasnet - b1877, m1846, d1863
  Drumlease (Dromahare) - b1827, m1830, d1827

I dont see any listing for historic records for Cloonlogher.

Records for the Cloonclare, Drumlease and Killasnet are available in the RCB Library in Dublin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline North Gower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 December 11 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Shane , thank you. Where does one find the dates for earliest records by locations, as you were able to give me above, please? I might try some more locations for still other  names in my family, if I could have some hope that records available might match a date.

I looked at all the names you are researching yourself. None of them connected to us, although I knew someone named Cantwell and also Wilsons.

As you probably gathered from my posts, I live in the Ottawa area of Ontario, Canada.  The Ottawa Valley and beyond is a very Irish area - one can still hear it in the accents and music, up the valley.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 December 11 08:19 GMT (UK) »
There is no single (accurate) source of the Church of Ireland parish record dates online that I know of, but there are several printed sources with details of Church of Ireland records. Usually checking for details involves first working out which civil parish covers the town or townland. I usually start with the townland database at http://www.thecore.com/seanruad, details included in Lewis Topographical directory of 1837 can also be useful for this.

Once the parish has been determined there are several standard reference sources which contain details - e.g. Ryan's Irish Records, Grenham etc. The RCB Library also publishes a list of sources they hold - this is updated from time to time as they acquire more records. Records for some Church of Ireland parishes are held by the National Archives.

Church of Ireland Records for much of Northern Ireland are held by PRONI.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline North Gower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 December 11 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Those give me some more new ideas to try, although some may be too far back in Monaghan and Clare.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 December 11 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I've recently contacted a few people in Canada, US, Oz etc asking them about Google, they said they tried but it was hopeless for Irish results.

I then recommended them to go to www.google.ie and see if there was any difference.. they were amazed at the results they got!

Apparently there is a huge difference....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 December 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper:    Leitrim Gazette Date:    4 July 1861 Newspaper Content:    Witness at murder trial.
Newspaper Subject:    Blair William (Summons Server for Manorhamilton)

In order to source this newspaper article, please supply all of the information below in an email to localstudies'at'leitrimcoco.ie
they should send 6 items free!!

Bib #: 14400
LDR:    00000nam 22000255 4500
1000:    $a newsNM
900:    $a Leitrim Gazette
902:    $a 4 July 1861
903:    $a Witness at murder trial.
904:    0 $a Blair William (Summons Server for Manorhamilton)
907:    $a 1 c5
~~~~~~~~-----------------

Newspaper:    Roscommon Leitrim Gazette Date:    27 August 1831
Newspaper Content:    The above died as a result of a fall from a horse while returning from Manorhamilton.

Newspaper Subject:    Blair Charles (Agent to L Tottenham Glenade)

In order to source this newspaper article, please supply all of the information below in an email to localstudies'at'leitrimcoco.ie

Bib #: 14396
900:    $a Roscommon Leitrim Gazette
902:    $a 27 August 1831
903:    $a The above died as a result of a fall from a horse while returning from Manorhamilton.
904:    0 $a Blair Charles (Agent to L Tottenham Glenade)
907:    $a 1 c4

~~~~~~~~--------------
Bib #: 111355
900:    $a Leitrim Advertiser
902:    $a 4 November 1875
903:    $a Marriage to Charles Agustus Jones Esquire, Taish House, Drumsna, County Leitrim by Reverend W. H. Wynne, County Tyrone.
904:    0 $a Blair Maggie (Gillygordon Lodge County Tyrone)
907:    $a 2 c3

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bib #: 42835
900:    $a Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette
902:    $a 27 August 1831
903:    $a Called to attend Charles Blair who had fallen from his horse near Manorhamilton, Mr Blair died before the above arrived.
904:    0 $a CRAWFORD SURGEON
907:    $a 1 c4
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.