Author Topic: Douglas family of Limavady  (Read 12543 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglas family of Limavady
« on: Friday 08 October 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information re this family.

Robert Douglas married  Mary Rodgers 24th June 1855. The marriage was reported in the Coleraine Chronicle. Robert was described as a merchant living in Catherine Street, Newtownlimavady. Robert  Douglas, widower, then married Martha Hunter on 14th February 1861.  Robert’s father was Matthew Douglas.

At GRONI I found two children with the surname Douglas and the mother’s name Hunter. One (name was not captured) was born 26th December 1864 and the other James was born 6th October 1866.

In 1901 Census the family of Robert Douglas is living in Catherine Street, Limavady. He is a merchant aged 67. Children are listed as Lizzie aged 41, Minnie aged 39, Jennie aged 36 (possibly the child born in 1864), Robert aged 34 and Matthew aged 32. The family were Methodist. The 1911 Census shows two families. One appears to be Robert Douglas, the son, aged 39, merchant living in Catherine Street with his wife Martha Elizabeth Douglas. The other family was Lizzie Douglas aged 46 and her sister Jennie Douglas aged 43. Both of these families were Methodist.

I have done a search at GRONI keeping an open mind about the discrepancies in ages between 1901 and 1911 but have been unable to find the birth of Robert and Matthew.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas family of Limavady
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 October 10 22:01 BST (UK) »
The mother of the ? Douglas 26 Dec 1864 and James Douglas 6 Oct 1866 was indeed MARTHA Hunter according to the IGI

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
I should also have said that Robert's father was Matthew Douglas and his profession was a farmer. Martha Hunter's father was William and he was also a farmer.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 10 17:10 BST (UK) »

Not sure if of any use, but in a roll of Officers i have for the 10th Inniskillings in 1914-18 there is a James Douglas of Broighter Cottage, Myroe, Limavady.

I also have photos of him, he survived the war. He was only in his early 20's in 1916.

His army record at the PRO London should give details of next of kin.

There was by coincidence another Officer called James Douglas but i have no information about him.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 18:37 BST (UK) »
There were some Limavady families that settled in Kings County, New Brunswick, Canada and this thread makes me wonder if there were more that I am aware of.

There was a Mary Douglas (born c1803) who married George Rankin (born c1806) , a shoemaker, in Ireland and they came (with children George and Eliza) to New Brunswick in 1833.  George Rankin had a brother Robert Rankin come here as well.  Also in the area here was Thomas Rodgers who married a Mary Jane Hunter a year later (1834).  I am not sure who her parents were but it appears they were Andrew & Mary Hunter (both born c1791) who came in 1830 with at least a son Andrew (born c1821).

Does anyone have either a George Rankine (m. Mary Douglas) or a Andrew Hunter (m. Mary __) in the Limavady area in the early 1800s?
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 October 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Rob. I will follow this up.

Robert Douglas was named as executor in the will of John Hemphill, Culmore. Broighter is a stone's throw from where John Hemphill lived. James Douglas of Broighter Cottage may well be linked.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline vichou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
I am also researching my Douglas family of Limavady.
Among them are a Jean and Robert, whose father was Matthew Douglas, Farmer.

I don't know who Robert's mother was, but have Matthew born about 1806, the son of Samuel Douglas and Jane Gay / Guy.
Matthew later married Nancy Ferguson Hunter (1846) and had about 7 children, 3 of them coming to NZ. The youngest John Alexander Douglas, took over the farm from his father (or possibly half the farm - the other half may have gone to his sister Maria Murphy). John Alexander Douglas passed the farm to his son Robert (who married another Hunter - Mary Rachel), then to his son Robert John, then to his son David Douglas who is still on the farm.

I don't know who Robert married, but have 2 sons - Matthew and Robert.

Does any of this ring a bell?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Matthew Douglas of Ardinariff died on 30 Mar 1887 and letters of Administration were granted to his son  John Alexander \douglas. See http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline vichou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingskerswell
Thanks for that.
I was hoping that there might be a connection with Cyclamen's family.