Author Topic: Michael W. Costigan  (Read 3572 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael W. Costigan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 July 10 10:44 BST (UK) »

Apparently, you do not see my post above where I said that we have applied to the NYC Dept of Health  THREE times to no avail.

I did see that you'd contacted NY and had acknowledged it by amending my post before your (extraordinarily sarcastic) reply was posted.

Since you obviously don't believe me, perhaps you will believe this guide:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rwguide/lesson10.htm

from which you will see that the place of death is indeed not shown.

I shall not participate any further in this thread.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 July 10 19:33 BST (UK) »
Dear AVM228,

Thank you very much for that link. That is very helpful.

I will relay what you said about the place of death to my Aunt.

But the way you wrote in your post is not helpful as well. I decided to not to argue with you as you are a "stranger" to me and I have no interest in fighting with someone online whom I do not know well. Please understand this.

Perhaps I did not explain myself more clearly to you in my previous posts--like the link said "not necessarily mean a place of death"--it means it may be or not--for me, I personally often find my relatives died in the place which was listed on the SSDI either at their last residence or last known address.

However, you are right, it is not a place of death. I am sorry if I did not explain it well to you.

BUT the link you provided is very clear on (VA). That's a good news yet it conflicts with other information I found on the SSDI.

Again, I thank you for your kind efforts to help my Aunt out.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,

I recently called for my Aunt at the family cemetery we know that his parents were buried at.

They were kind enough to confirm that he is not there. At the same, we were able to get a death year for my Aunt's grandmother so she could send for the death certificate.

My Aunt asked me to ask you: She would like to know if anyone has this "unique" problem like hers and managed to suceed to find further information. That's her purpose for asking on this forum.

Any helpful suggestion as to take next step?

We are debating about ordering a death certificate from Albany but it would take 5 to 6 months to process a request according to one website.  :o
It is quite pricey comparing to "local" death certificare providing you know where a person died.

I said he can died in one of Tri-States. He could have died in New Jersey as Brooklyn is just across the water.

But this thought occurred to me...what about the telephone directories? It would be helpful to pinpoint where he was in the 1970s? Hope anyone knows a good source that we can ask for someone to look up for us.

We certainly welcome any helpful advice or ideas. Even your experiences as to how to overcame this similar situation like ours.

Kind regards,

Tees

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Tees:

I don't think I would limit my search to neighbouring states.  While October isn't necessarily a common time to take a vacation, he may have been away from his home state when he passed away.

Also, I don't believe you mentioned his occupation in this or your other thread.  His WWII enlistment record states:
"Civil Occupation:  Ticket, station, and express agents, transportation."
Could that provide any clues for finding him prior to 1973, I wonder? 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa in California!

It's always nice to hear from other Rootschatter.

Anything is possible in this situation. The trouble is that Michael Costigan left my Aunt's mother for many decades before he agreed to finalize the divorce which is only few years before his death.

The last employer my Aunt learnt through the divorce papers he was with is at the restuarant. I forgot what he was doing in his capacity there.

My Aunt grew up fatherless and did not have any contact with him or his family because of her Mother.
My Aunt is Deaf and in these days, she cannot call her relatives.

She did not get any letters or anything from him or his family.

The only information she has on him is the documents we have on him (barring his birth certificate and death certificate) and the SSDI.

The good news is that we can get the death certificate from Albany, NY in 6 to 8 weeks as opposed to 5-6 months. I was reading on a wrong page as it was on genealogy (anything that is over 50 or 100 years old) as opposed to the "recent" records.

We are hestitating about it because we really do not know where he died. That's the trouble.

Like you said, he can die anywhere.

My Aunt made a good point: if he died anywhere, how is it possible that the death was report to the SSA (Social Security Administration) with accurate information (birth date and social security number)? It had to be one of his family that filed a report and collect one-time sum from the SSA for funeral expenses.

I have been thinking...would it help a lot if we were to write to the congressman or representative of the US Congress to help us to ask the Veterans Administration and the SSA to give us the information that my Aunt has been seeking for over 25 years?

Any ideas? They will be greatly received by us.

Thank you for your time and reply, Lisa!

Kind regards,

Tees

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 July 10 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees:

I don't know if it would help to contact a political person for help with his papers.  You could try posting a new topic on this board, asking for suggestions of how to obtain them (of course, referencing this thread, too).

"My Aunt made a good point: if he died anywhere, how is it possible that the death was report to the SSA (Social Security Administration) with accurate information (birth date and social security number)? It had to be one of his family that filed a report and collect one-time sum from the SSA for funeral expenses."
I don't think family had to necessarily report his death.  Most adults carry identification with them.  Even if he was away from home, in most cases, it would be easy enough to identify him.  Also, if he was staying at a hotel or some other place, he would have had to give his personal information in order to reserve a room.

I'm not too sure what you mean about collecting a one-time sum?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 July 10 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

One-sum payment of $255 is made for the funeral expenses. That's what my Aunt meant.

Yes, you are correct but it is 1973. And to my knowledge, no one walks around with their social security number. The driver's license may be the only form of identification on him--it was in the paper form if I remember.

I have no idea how one could pull the SS number back then.

That is why my Aunt thinks it is a family member who reported his death.

My Aunt is going to send for the death certificate via Albany, NY this week after she gets recuperated from her leg troubles. We will see if they comes up with anything.

I will call the cemeteries that caters to the veterans. We are not sure but we know he was demoted and dishonourly discharged.

Let's hope they would be kind enough to help me out for my aunt's sake.

I will think a bit on asking a representative/congressman to help us out. Not sure if it worths any effort.

Again, thank you so much for your post. I do hope someone would take time to share their experiences of finding further information on a very little information in this "modern" time of ours.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:02 BST (UK) »
And to my knowledge, no one walks around with their social security number. The driver's license may be the only form of identification on him--it was in the paper form if I remember.

I have no idea how one could pull the SS number back then.

1973 - many older people would carry SS card and the # would be on a driver's license. 

Veteran cemetery locator - only national cemeteries

gravelocator.cem.va.gov/
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan!

I never know that SS number would be listed on the driver's license back then. I only remember it was in the paper form--blue-coloured typewritten one.

NYS still use this paper form only for the interim driver's license or permit.

I will ask my Dad as he usually have a good memory about it.

You probably are right about carrying the SS card on person. It's a no-no today--guess it is a different time and different world back then.  :)

If that is true, then that probably explains why the SSDI has the information on Michael W. Costigan.

I have not gotten around to call one of two national cemeteries. Will try them tomorrow.

Many thanks for taking time to reply to this post. It is always good to hear from you!

Kind regards,

Tees

PS I have tried that locator yesterday. It does not even show my Grandparents! I know that they are buried in a national cemetery. It happened to me when I went to the cemetery and could not find his plot information on the locator kiosk there.
I have to ask a gentleman who worked there to give me the information. So, that's why I am going to call them instead.