Author Topic: Appledore Families - DAY, HAYNE, BLACKMORE, CRUNN, POPHAM  (Read 9680 times)

Offline pentire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Appledore Families - DAY, HAYNE, BLACKMORE, CRUNN, POPHAM
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Anyone carrying out current research on any of the above families ? It can get quite lonely sometimes !!  :)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: Appledore Families - DAY, HAYNE, BLACKMORE, CRUNN, POPHAM
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 March 09 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Extract from Basil Greenhill 'The Merchant Schooners' regarding Appledore

.....industry of building small wooden ships.... had grown to such a great size by the late 19th century that ... various yards at Barnstaple, Appledore and Bideford were said to be launching a ship a week between them....The greatest of the Bideford Shipbuilders was .... Chaoman of Cleave Houses, ...ceased 1818 .....but ships survived to 1880s ..... and then George,... John Cox, HM Restarick, Hansen & Co, M.W. BLACKMORE & Sons today.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 09 01:59 GMT (UK) »
ISBN 7153 4243 6
Pub David & Charles 1968
Out of Print
Vols I & II
Maybe available in your local library

Basil Greenhill
The Merchant Schooners

Lots of info about the Appledore Schooners
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline SamiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 09 15:10 GMT (UK) »
In one twig of my tree, Ruth Cock (sort of long ago cousin) married John Popham in 1848.  They went on to have lots of little Pophams - but the family were based in St. Giles in the Wood, so may not be any connection to yours.
Happy hunting
Sami
Wilkie - Aberdeenshire;  Singer - Aberdeenshire; Counsell - India; Pike -  Bucks., Leics.; Cock - Devon (St. Giles in the Wood); Gay - Somerset; Tucker - London; Newman - London

Offline pentire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 09 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheshiremog  -  thanks for that info. I am not sufficiently well versed in the Blackmore branch to know whether there is a close relationship with the shipbuilders of that name.

I have however noticed that it could be possible to purchase Vols 1 and 2 of the books that you mentioned, and I might well consider doing so, particularly as at least five generations of the Day family are shown as master mariners.

Thank you very much for the lead - I can't think that I would have found that without your intevention.

Chris.

Offline pentire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 09 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi SamiW  -  Nice to hear from you. The Pophams married into our Hayne line during the 1850's, but where they were before that I don't know - I'll have a hunt round.

The William Popham who married into our Hayne line married one sister, and then married her younger sister (not at the same time !)

I have picked up the surname Cock in Appledore, so I'll have a little rummage and see what I come up with.

Chris

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 09 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Pentire
Basil Greenhills books are a very good buy - they explain the process of building schooners in some fascinating detail.  Appledore is mentioned many times so they give a good insight into how they were building and trading and where they were sailing. Hope you can get copies as they are now out of print as far as I know. The Cock brothers are mentioned several times. "At Appledore in the North Devon in the year 1903 a three masted schooner was being built by the Cock brothers in the Bell Inn yard..............the Katie was first conceived as a ship in the mind of James Cock, manager of the yard, who fulfilled also the function of 'moulder' as he was called in Appledore.'
 The chapter is entitled 'The Mould Loft' it goes on to explain how James Cock made a half model of the vessel ....

Hope you manage to get the books - my interest was the Vittery family of Brixham, South Devon and I was not disappointed.

Mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline pentire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 09 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mog - thanks for the further note. I have found the books being offered second hand on Amazon - as you rightly say they are now out of print.

Our Thomas Day (born 1781) married Eleanor Jones from Oxwich, West Glamorgan in 1808, so it doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to work out where his trading route probably took him !!

Chris.

Offline SamiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 09 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris & Mog
I've not found any connection with my St.Giles in the Wood Cock family with the Appledore lot - though I'm sure there must be a link - it's a fairly unusual name!
Happy hunting
Sami
Wilkie - Aberdeenshire;  Singer - Aberdeenshire; Counsell - India; Pike -  Bucks., Leics.; Cock - Devon (St. Giles in the Wood); Gay - Somerset; Tucker - London; Newman - London