Author Topic: John Mackay of Auchanlochie  (Read 5827 times)

Offline macmusic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mackay of Auchanlochie
« on: Wednesday 11 July 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with information about John of Auchenlochie, (Eastern Shore of Loch Eriboll) Sutherland?  He is my GGGGrandfather, and was Precentor at the West Moine Mission on the shores of Loch Eriboll. We have info up to July 1809, but wonder what happened after that. In particular, we would like to know when and where he died.

Any info would be appreciated.

David

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mackay of Auchanlochie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
I have one or two ancestors who were elders in the Church of Scotland in the 18th century. When they died, it was recorded in the minutes of the kirk session as new elders had to be elected. If similar minutes exist for the Mission, you might find a clue in them.

Graham

Offline macmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Graham. We have been through all of the records that we can find at both Edinburgh and the Highland Archive Centre in Inverness. - but as yet, to no avail.

Hopefully someone in RootChat can come up with something.
Best Regards,

David

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 12 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
Was his wife's name Barbara Mackay? The Durness Parish Register records at least three children for this couple. There is also a web site which mentions them and, as I recall, they emigrated to Prince Edward Island. If this is the correct couple, I will provide you with a link to this web site.
The patronymics for this John Mackay link him to the Skerray Mackays, and back to the chiefly line.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline macmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 12 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi IanB,

Thank you for your reply.

John indeed married Barbara his first wife in 1775, in fact there are two Barbaras.  His first wife had 4 children, Isobel, Elizabeth, James and Ann.
His second wife, who he married in 1786,  also called Barbara had 11 children, Alexander, Barbara, Marion, Donald, Dollie and John (Twins) Ann, Hector, James, Bessy and Janet.
Hector is my gg grandfather and he lived in Tain, married Ann Mackay from Lairg, and had  10 children,
David, Alexander Gair (my g grandfather), Alexander, Donald, Margaret, Barbra, Elspat, Isabella, John and George.

We have details of all of their births, and marriage of Alexander Gair, but John of Auchanlochie is proving to be an enigma.

If you can give me a link to the website concerning Prince Edward Island, that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you for your help so far.

sincerely,

David

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
David, I re-visited the "P.E.I." site and believe the author has confused  John Mackay in Achinlochie with another John Mackay, Blacksmith who married Ann Calder.

Here is the link http://www.islandregister.com/mackay9.html
but I don't think it will be of much help to you.

I searched the record of monumental inscriptions for Balnaceil cemetery, and there are several John Mackays but none that fits your John.

Good luck with your search.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline macmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Thanks again for your info.  The PEI link certainly makes for interesting reading.
Best regards,

David

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 July 12 05:35 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
I recently started re-reading a book by Hugh G. Allison called "Roots of Stone". He is a great-great-great-great grandson of John of Achunlochie through John's son Donald (your great-great-great grandfather's brother). The book is really the story of several of his ancestors, including John Mackay of Strathy, John Mackay of Skerray, and Hector Mackay of Skerray.

the book may be of interest to you and may be available in public libraries.

Ian

Offline macmusic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply.  We have a copy of Hugh Allison's 'Roots of Stone' and have indeed met Hugh when he was working at Culloden. 

So far though, no-one has been able to come up with what happened to John of Auchanlochie in the later years of his life.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

David