Author Topic: Munros of Armadale, parish of Farr, Sutherland  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Munro84

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Munros of Armadale, parish of Farr, Sutherland
« on: Tuesday 24 July 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Anyone connected with the below family I would like to hear from you.

Alexander Munro ( a carpenter and apparently from the county of Ross-shire) & wife Barbara Mackay (b. 15th Nov 1768 Sarsgrum, Durness, Sutherland) had the following children:

1. James Munro b. Ceanabeinne, Durness in 1791 (died young).
2. James Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1796.
3. George Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1799
4. Donald Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1802
5. Gabriel Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1804
6. Honyman Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1806 (named after William Honeyman, Lord Armadale of Strathy)
7. Christina Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1808
8. Mackay Munro b. Armadale, Farr in 1812 (Went by the name of John Munro)

The father, Alexander Munro was possibly born in the parish of Urquhart and Logie Wester, county of Ross, in 1763, son of James Munro but this is unconfirmed.

The mother Barbara Mackay, was almost certainly born in the hamlet of Sartigrim (known in modern times as Sarsgrum), parish of Durness, county of Sutherland on 15th Nov 1768. Her father was John Mackay of Sartigrim and mother was also named Barbara Mackay.

On another of their daughters parish birth records (Ann Mackay born 1771), the mother (elder Barbara Mackay) is recorded in some gaelic patrynomic as "of Skerray". Possibly daughter of Donald, son of George of Skerray but not sure.

I have a date of birth of 1723 from the "old" LDS website for John Mackay of Sartigrim. Interestingly there is a soldier on record in 1746 named John Mackay of Sartigrim. There is only one house at Sartigrim so possibly the same man ?

Offline Nicolam99

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Munros of Armadale, parish of Farr, Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 June 23 12:23 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old post but I have just come across it.  I am a descendent of George munro born 1799 and would love to hear from you.