Author Topic: RootsIreland becoming a subscription site  (Read 9242 times)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RootsIreland becoming a subscription site
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 September 14 15:52 BST (UK) »

... While YES, the new search engine is more restrictive that their old model it can still be played around with to get the hits that you want ...

Don't want to get into a debate, but no, I disagree.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 September 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
One of the things about this that bothers me is that while this new system is great for a person in Tara's position, someone who has spend years researching and has a ready list of records to check and has the experience to follow up on the results fairly quickly, it's a different story for someone starting out who may early on only have a few records to search for and than discover clues after the sub has run out and need to spend another €25 to find a few more records.
How apart from the price can a person know how long a sub they will need!

The pricing system before the last one I still think was the best, yes it could work out expensive if you weren't careful, but you could work at your own pace. I'd have to check but I think I only bought 5 or less records, it would have been less if I'd know at the time FamilySearch existed.
Unless they find a hidden trove of pre famine records in bog somewhere they are unlikely to have a 1000 records of anyone's ancestors. They don't have any for my father's side of my family.
And after all that you only get a transcript and to think you can get an image of an original BMD Cert for €4, or if your lucky enough to come from the right area you can get original church images for nothing.

I don't have any objection to paying for a service but yet another change to the payment system just smacks of greed to me.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 September 14 22:05 BST (UK) »
Needing a given name on the search really has me confused ???

I know one line of my family registered all eight of their children's births with no given names. I got the registrations from RootsIreland easily because I did a parent search. How would I get them now?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 September 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Wonder can you do a search with female or male in the name box?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 September 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Does the search stuff only change if you subscribe because it doesn't seem to have changed for me.
Just did a search with surname, 0 for first name, parents names and parish and while I haven't viewed the result it appears to be as I'd expect. 10 matches.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hmmm,
I have just received (today)  an email from IFHF informing me of the changes taking place from 24 September.
Needless to say I'm not very impressed with them.
I had a few hundred free searches left to use.

Sarra

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra,

I, too received an email yesterday -- which told me I had 775 credits. I could apparantly convert this to 1 month's subscription extended by 85 days.

Start date 26 AUG 2014 -- end date 20 DEC 2014

So  -- if I converted it would be backdated to August. In addition I would lose my free credits. This didn't seem like a good deal for an existing customer at all.

I didn't understand this --- so will just continue with my remaining credits for now.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 October 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra,

I, too received an email yesterday -- which told me I had 775 credits. I could apparantly convert this to 1 month's subscription extended by 85 days.

Start date 26 AUG 2014 -- end date 20 DEC 2014

So  -- if I converted it would be backdated to August. In addition I would lose my free credits. This didn't seem like a good deal for an existing customer at all.

I didn't understand this --- so will just continue with my remaining credits for now.
Pennies,
I received the same email as you.  At first I thought they were telling me I had 775 credits. When I read the email again - that is not the case.  They were only giving you an 'Example'.

It's all rather confusing to me so you are not alone. ::)
Sarra :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 October 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
I got my email this morning. :D