Author Topic: Church Records, Newtownards N.I.  (Read 14688 times)

Offline karhel

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Church Records, Newtownards N.I.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 May 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie

Received your rootschat post re Bohill/Quinn.

All the names you mention seem very familiar.     What part of the city  did your mother visit
when she came  to Manchester?    I know a couple of Isabella's sons lived in Manchester in the early 1900s.
My connection is with a sister of Cecilia (b.1890)??  named Annie (1880) (my husband's grandmother)
I knew James Quinn's father was Patrick.   But the Patrick you mention I have as the brother of Cecilia (01.09.1874)

Hope these few details confirm we are of the same 'family'

Regards
Karhel

Glennon, Dublin.      Edwards, Chester
Murray, Manchester

Offline Robbie Cole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Karhel,

I'm still trying to get the full details of the tree nailed down, and you're highlighting a lot of gaps, but what I have up to now is as follows:

Patrick Quinn's father: James Quinn - flax dresser in Comber.

Mother: Isabella Quinn Bohal

Patrick Quinn b. 01/09/1874, Maryborough Terrace, Comber. Patrick married Alice Anne Quinn nee McCann around 1896.

Their kids were:

John, Cecilia (my grandmother / mum's mother, b. 16/12/1910), Sarah, Isabella, William and James.

I've just spoken to my mum, and she doesn't know whether Patrick had any siblings - from what you're saying, there're at least two (Cecilia and Anne, your connection) that we didn't know about, assuming that there is actually a connection in our family lines. The dates for Patrick Quinn coupled with the Quinn Bohal name would certainly seem to indicate a connection - it would also explain why my grandmother's name was Cecilia!

Regarding Patrick Quinn, apparently he used to work over in Salford for a while, which is why my grandmother (Cecilia) was born on the mainland. Additionally, my grandmother's brother John moved to Salford, which is where my mum ended up when her parents passed away.

Is that sounding any more likely re: there being a connection?

Kind regards,

Robbie.

Offline karhel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie,

Thanks for your email.      I'm still a little confused with some of the names.

I'll put down what I think.

James Quinn married Isabella  13.09.1873.    Father of James - Patrick,  Father of Isabella  Thomas.

Children of James/Isabella:   Patrick 01.09.74  (married Alice  ? - lived in Salford, 1911 census, with James,12.   sibling ????     John 12.01.76  (lived in Bradford, M/cr 1911 census  - Son John lived with Quinn family + in Dale St. M/cr 1911 census)           Annie  15.05.1880.       Hugh 1882.     Thomas 1883.   James  1887.   Cecilia  1890 (is on the 1901 N.I. census)  ???

Isabella was a widow in 1901 on the NI census.    they lived Grove St. East.

I dont seem to work out your grandmother ??  born 1910. who was her mother/father????

Hope this info helps you, but please correct me if mine is wrong.    Its always hard to work out
the irish ancesters.

Regards

Karhel

Murray, Manchester

Offline Robbie Cole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerhal,

From your posts it looks like my mother's grandfather - Patrick Quinn - had a load of siblings that we had no clue about, and it appears that they liked to use the same names over multiple generations...

If I'm reading your posts correctly, Patrick's "missing" (from our perspective) siblings are as follows:

James
John
Annie 
Hugh
Thomas
James
Cecilia

Patrick's wife we have down as Alice Ann McCann b. 08/08/1877, who married Patrick in St Malachy's Church, Belfast, on 12/07/1896.

Cecilia, my grandmother, is one of the six Patrick and Alice's children listed in the previous post. Confusingly, Alice is sometimes referred to as "Ann" in our family records. BTW, four out of the six of the siblings (Sarah, Isabella, William, James) moved to Detroit in the US back in the '30s. We've had some contact over the years with the family of one of them up until fairly recently.

I think you've just filled in a massive hole in our search - a million more things to check up on as a result, but thank you :-)

Offline karhel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie,
Just a quick reply.

John, Annie, Hugh, Thomas, James, Cecilia + patrick  are James/Isabella's children.

Will be in touch.

Karhel
Murray, Manchester

Offline karhel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie

Apologies for not replying sooner, had rather a busy two weeks.   Also going on holiday
Friday this week.    Will be in touch asap on my return which is about 09 June.
Sounds a good idea to be in touch with your Mum, 
Take care
Karhel.
Murray, Manchester

Offline Angela Johnston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Kerhal and Bobby,  My grandmother was a Bohill and I am connected to you both through Isabella Bohill Quinn.  Isabella's mother was Cecelia McGreevy, b.c. 1824, died 5 March 1897 at 69 Grove Street East, Belfast (which is where you located Isabella in 1901).  I can provide the evidence.  Most of James and Isabella Quinn's children were born in Comber (registration district Newtownards) and there is a link to Killinchy St, Comber (the main route heading towards Downpatrick which was where, in fact, the small family of Bohill was concentrated.  Isabella and James Quinn moved to Grove St East in the Mountpottinger area of East Belfast between 1882 and 1887 (the youngest two children were born there).  James Quinn was deceased by the time of the 1901 census but he is recorded as the tenant of 69 Grove St East in the 1901 Street Directory suggesting that he wasn't long deceased.  Any Bohills you locate in County Cavan, Meath/Louth, Dublin or Waterford (from c. 1890s onward) were all members of the same family.  I suspect that they were originally "planters" from North England/Scottish Borders.  Please send me a personal message if you would like to see the evidence for Cecilia McGreevy.  Angela