Author Topic: Looking for living family in Cork, Ireland  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Miss Paula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for living family in Cork, Ireland
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow chatters   ;)

I've read the topic 'Tracing living relatives', which had a lot of links to websites that were mainly for the UK, so didn't help me but I enjoyed looking  :). There is the option of paying membership fees to organisations like Ancestry and was wondering which ones you'd recommend for Ireland (if I decide to go that way).

I am researching my grandmother's family, who lived in Bantry, Cork. I know the names of all of her grandparents, her parents and their siblings (her aunts and uncles) on both sides, her brother and her sister, as well as her sister's four children and husband. That's where it ends.

I've put my grandmother's surname and Bantry into this site but it came up with unrelated people.

I've looked at the Irish phone directory websites and noticed that there are email links next to the people's address and phone numbers. I thought I'd email some to see what sort of a response I get.

Any suggestions on how to locate my third cousins or more distant relatives?

Thanks

Paula  :D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for living family in Cork, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
Ancestry is not really going to give you recent Irish family details unless someone has included your relatives in their online tree there. It sounds as though you are hoping to find very recent details. Since you have some family details and a location you could try contacting the local church or newspaper. Also try social netweorking sites (Facebook, etc.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

There is http://www.corkgen.org, so you may find others researching the same names.
If you are looking for living people then try FB, just put Bantry in the search bar and it will show all pages related to Bantry

The local newspaper may be a good starting point http://www.southernstar.ie/Community/Bantry/
and maybe http://www.westcorkpeople.ie/ which is monthly, you could write an article send it in and see if they will print

Good luck with your search :)
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Miss Paula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your speedy responses and suggestions. I will look into all of them and so knows, maybe I'll have the luck of the Irish on my side!  ;D

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1408347

Civil registrations for Republic of Ireland up to 1958 on this link

www.rip.ie
                     this link will provide death notices..you can select county and town.. there are five pages of notices for Bantry using dates from 2000 to present day.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula have sent you a personal message ref your post.  :) You need to make possibly 2 more posts to use this facility on the site.You could maybe give names of Grandparents/ Great grandparents (if they are not Living)  :) and some dob's also

Offline Miss Paula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances, my grandmother's name was Annie Goggin, DOB 29 June 1882, daughter of Richard Goggin (born in Killeenleagh in Jan, 1853) and Margaret McCarthy (born in Bantry in 1847). Her siblings were Mary (Mollie) born in Feb, 1878 (who married Patrick Nugent in 1907) and Patrick, born in March 1881. There were two other children (Catherine and another) but they died young.

I have the parents' and siblings' names of Richard and Margaret if you want. Margaret's sisters are on the 1901 census (where Annie and Mollie were with one (surname Goulding) and Margaret and Patrick were with another(surname Dennis).

Cheers

Paula  ;D

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances, my grandmother's name was Annie Goggin, DOB 29 June 1882, daughter of Richard Goggin (born in Killeenleagh in Jan, 1853) and Margaret McCarthy (born in Bantry in 1847). Her siblings were Mary (Mollie) born in Feb, 1878 (who married Patrick Nugent in 1907) and Patrick, born in March 1881. There were two other children (Catherine and another) but they died young.

I have the parents' and siblings' names of Richard and Margaret if you want. Margaret's sisters are on the 1901 census (where Annie and Mollie were with one (surname Goulding) and Margaret and Patrick were with another(surname Dennis).

Cheers

Paula  ;D
Hi Paula looking at 1901 census Head of house surname Dennis  seems to be brother in law to Margaret Goggin so looks like Ellen is her sister.  In 1911 Patrick Goggin is married 2 years no children. Looking at Civil records its difficult to establish Patricks wifes surname as there are lots of records in Bantry and nearby areas in the timeframe.  Did you have a message on Ireland XO message board recently regarding this family? I remember responding to this & suggesting following the Goulding line where the 2 goggins were in the household (from memory I seem to think 1 if not 2 were school teachers. :)

Offline Miss Paula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 September 14 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Frances

Small world on the internet! Yes, it was me on Ireland XO and I did look at the Gouldings but couldn't find any free records. You are right, both the girls, my grandmother and her sister, were teachers. My grandmother was a teacher in Australia, too but for how long I don't know. My sister tried to find a record but those records were destroyed in a fire, too!

Someone else responded after you (on XO) and confirmed all the people I had researched and placed on the family tree were the right ones, which means that Richard Goggin's siblings were: William, Tom, John, Margaret, Patrick and Francis. Margaret McCarthy's siblings were: Jeremiah, Laurence, Tim, Ellen, Catherine and Nano, who must have been Nora Goulding.

I looked at the 1911 census for Patrick Goggin and found several entries. The one I thought was most appropriate is the one from Bantry where he was 30, his wife Nora was 32 and they had a 6-year-old daughter, Agie. There were other entries of Patricks aged 30 who were in Seeds and Scart; neither had children. The only other one was 31 and lived in Templemartin. There was one who was 34 but I discounted him due to the age. There was one in Killeenleagh and I think he was a cousin, as his father was William.

Nice to hear from you again.

Cheers

Paula  :)