Author Topic: Help with a placename location/translation  (Read 11353 times)

Offline MacduffD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a placename location/translation
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 18 March 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've found the reference I was looking for:

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-352-1/dissemination/pdf/vol_019/19_041_045.pdf

It comes from the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (Vol 19, 1884-5).  The useful bit is at page 3. Dubh is pronounced Doo, and Dhuibhe does become Dooie.  Obviously the standing stones at Fandowie date from long before the Macduffs settled in their vicinity, but their presence may have encouraged early settlers in the district to create their burying ground there, rather than elsewhere.  They may have had pre-Christian religious significance, which would simply have been adopted by their medieval descendants.

Sadly the Macduffs are not as influential as they were in the twelfth century!  More's the shame!

Robert

Offline MacduffD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a placename location/translation
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a quick update to say that when looking through the Perthshire Constitutional for 1851 looking for an obituary, I came across an advert offering "the Farm of Easter Bonhard, consisting of Fandowie and Cairneyhill" for let, so the Blair's home was somewhere on the modern Easter Bonhard Farm.

Hope this helps.

Robert