Author Topic: Reform School  (Read 2136 times)

Offline julius72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reform School
« on: Tuesday 10 June 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have read(in an old newspaper) that one of my relatives was sent to a reform school in St George,Bristol. I have no address for this school. If anyone knows where it might be or was I would be grateful. Also is it a possible that there are some records connected with this school somewhere - or even photos. The event was in the 1880s.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reform School
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
There are some details on workhouses.org.uk of the Clifton/Barton Regis Poor Law Union, which had a children's home at St Georges.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Clifton/

Unfortunately a lot of records in Bristol were lost in a WW2 bombing. ::)

And there is a list of Children's Homes (etc!) on this site:
http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/Gloucestershire.shtml
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline julius72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that info, it's very interesting. It will come in handy for another relative I need to research. I think however that the reform school is another institution.

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 October 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Julius,

Have you tried looking up the Industrial Schools in Bristol.  I had a relative there but it was in Clifton, so I am not sure if there was any establishment in St George.  Worth a try though.

Elizabeth

Offline julius72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 October 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Elizabeth. I think the school was in Kingswood but I have been told that there are no records available. I am due to visit Bristol next week so I might call in.

Julius

Offline Ramboryan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 22:46 BST (UK) »
The school was probably Kingswood Training School.  It was formerly a reformatory school for 120 boys aged between 13 and 18.    The address is now The Cabot Academy 27 Woodside Road BS15 8DB.  Having been a `tenant' there for 3 years 1954/56 I visited many years later and to my amazement found that `Doc Grunwell' was still living in his little house on the back drive.  My number was 81 Wesley House.

If you need any more info please don't hesitate to contact me before I expire (I am 73 and in poor health)