Author Topic: Missing siblings 1851 census  (Read 11297 times)

Offline Sami McDonagh

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing siblings 1851 census
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
hi cathy, for what i remember my dad once said we where supposed to be relation to irish gypsies who came to england to find work i dont know if its just true because i dont understand how. But my dad was quite aderment and also cathy on this site we were a i can see on your website we were catholics but my granddad was  church of england but he did beleive in the catholic faith :-\
                               Sami

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 August 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Sami
Is your brother Mark?  My brother, Mark Johnson, was at school with Mark McDonagh.  My brother went to Canon Maggs and Nicho.
Lisa
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline Sami McDonagh

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 August 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
hi lisa marks not my brother but he is my cousin he as got a sister called sian and talk about a small world.
                                 sami

Offline Cocopops123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi, I started to do my Mothers side of our family tree a short while ago. Mums maiden name McDonagh, her father is Alan B: 1920 in Nuneaton his father is Thomas McDonagh 1883 he married an Elizabeth Miller in 1907 in Nuneaton, Thomas' parents were Thomas McDonagh  1843 and Caroline Townsend. Thomas was the son of James McDonagh a painter born in Dublin. That is where I have been fairly stuck. Then I found your thread, weehee! you filled in some gaps for me. Any other information you could pass over would be fantastic.
What happened to the oldest son james? Could he have taken care of the other children when their mother died?

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 April 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
This is a great post... for all of you - managing to link up.  Smashing, good old Roots ay?!  :)

xin

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Cocopops,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Sami's notifications are not working at the moment but have managed to find her on Facebook so just sent a message to tell her of your reply. Lets hope we see Sami very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 26 April 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Cocopops   :),
Lovely to hear from another McDonagh member. My GG Grandfather was John McDonagh, Thomas' brother.
Have researched the family but have also come to a standstill due to the Irish connection.
I have several bmd certificates and a photo of John McDonagh whom would be Thomas' nephew which I am very happy to share if you are interested.
My mother always said that James and Catherine ran away together to England, to the mills up North (familys did not approve due to religious differences), which seems about right as they were in Manchester in 1841.
If you make three posts then you can send and receive personal messages.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Cocopops123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 26 April 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Cath151,
Thanks for replying so quick. I think the more research I do, the more questions keep arising. I have done a timeline for James. I have found a marriage in the parish of Bolton Le Moors, a James McDonagh and Catherine McKeney on 31 day of May 1824. Would this be right? Then they have a son James back in Dublin, then back in Manchester for their daughters birth in 1940 (a big gap, could they have had other children that died?) 1841 still in Manchester, 1843 Thomas born in Tamworth, 1845 William born in London?, then John born in Coventry, I found something that would suggest Catherine May have died in Manchester in 1848, not long after Johns birth. 1851 just the same can only find James as lodger in Glouster, can not find the children, could James have looked after then. In 1854 married to Johanna, 1861, 1871 living in Bedworth. Then confusing... 1881 census James, 81, head, painter from Ireland, Ann Rose, 64, wife, born in Ireland. Then 1885 James dies, Johanna dies after in 1887. So where did this Ann Rose come from? I think you have a different surname for Catherine though? Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Emma 😄

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 26 April 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,
Sounds like you have a good knowledge already. :)
I have Margarets',Thomas' and Johns' birth certificates and parents are the same give or take slight spelling and phonetic variations.
Margaret 2nd April 1840 Hulme  father James Mc Donald, painter and mother Catherine McDonald nee Noland
Thomas 12th July 1842 Tamworth  James Mc Donald, painter and Catherine formerly Nolan.
John  31st July 1846  Coventry       James Mc Donough,painter and Catherine McDonough formerly Nolan.
I have marriage certificates for all three that confirm fathers name.

I can t find out anything about James born Dublin? c1825, hes o the 1841 but could be son or brother I suppose.
Would be interested in the marriage to Catherine McKeney as I have seen that link before, what
makes you think they married, its possible he may have married before. I ve never found a Mcdonagh/Nolan marriage and assumed either they married in Ireland or were not married. Mymother seemed to think that Catherine was from Armagh or Omagh,though this might not be right. I did think James father could be Thomas but can t remember where I found that little gem
 Joanna ,Ann Rose are I m pretty sure the same person though that did throw me at first.
Lots of info in my files somewhere, I have nt researched the family for a while.
Would be interested in possible death for Catherine.
Do you have any photos you would be willing to share?
Happy to share any of my certs and info.
Best wishes,
Cathy :)
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk