Author Topic: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny  (Read 32658 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURTCHAELL family of Brandondale, Co. Kilkenny
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Carolanne. Hopefully one of the others who have posted here will see your posting. Do a few more posts and then you will be able to contact them directly.
Katharine.

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 November 11 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Bob, Katherine and Carolanne,

Bob: How can I reach Father Jim?  My name is Linda and I'm a distant cousin of yours, descended from Benjamin B. Burthchaell.  Jim and I corresponded a lot before he published his findings and I've lost track of him since he sent me his publications. About Ian and Christopher Burtchall--they were very much alive at the time Jim was finishing up his research.  I made contact with Ian and tried to contact Peter but they were both simply unwilling to participate in the genealogy  . I was told the name was changed when their father was in the service during WW2 (a typical military screw-up) and never corrected.

Katherine:  I just tried to find your email address today but have lost it when I changed servers.  I'm not on yahoo.ca now but I think my handle is the same as what I gave you on hotmail. Father Jim's entry on Archdall Burtchaell and Ms Gore is missing a daughter: Jane married William Heard of Fenelon Falls (who is the son of my great grandfather Joseph Heard).  Bill ran Heard's Hardware store in Fenelon. 

Carolanne:  You appear to be a long lost branch.  If your Peter Burtchaell is the brother of my G-G-grandfather Benjamin (and not the Peter of the previous generation, whose christening gown is in my mother's possession), Father Jim has him as dead at 17.

Linda from Canada

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 November 11 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda, I will PM you with my email address for your reference.
Despite the information that people have sent to me on the Burtchaell line, I am still confused by this family. What I am looking for particularly from any descendants is information on where and when the original Archdall Burtchaell (husband of Miss Gore) died. And any confirmation of her christian name from primary sources.
Does anyone have what I seek?
Katharine.

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 November 11 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Katherine, I see someone has given you Archdall's death info on another search you did, which said he died in York, and also mentioned a Maria Burtchaell who also died in York. York is in essence Toronto. His daughters were known in the family to have lived in Toronto, so it is a pretty safe bet this is indeed your Archdall.  The question is was this Maria Burtchaell your Gore ancestor or was she Mary Howitt?  Did Archdall, as Bob Burtchaell suggested to you, actually marry Mary or not? Father Jim's genealogy does not definitively state that they were married. Did you every clearly establish Ms Gore's given names?  Also note that the family has Archdall's birthdate as November 14, 1824, not 1828 as it says in the death info.

You say you are finding the Burtchaell's confusing.  What exactly is confusing you about them?

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 November 11 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda. Thanks for your reply. I had forgotten about the deaths for Archdall and Maria Burtchaell. I will PM you. Katharine.

Offline rylmoxmoshburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 March 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello  I have a copy of a Burtchaell family tree made in 1903, re Burtchaells from Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, also some info on Archdall and Benjamin Burtchaell of Toronto and Fenlon Falls.
I would like to talk to Linda from Canada , we are probably related. Thanks Ken

Offline geishatattoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 March 12 22:43 GMT (UK) »
So, who are you Ken?  Are you a Burtchaell, or a descendant by another name (as am I)? And from whom are you descended?  Are you in Canada?

The 1903 genealogy, is that the one done by George Dames Burtchaell?  The more recent one by James Tunstead Burtchaell is much more accurate and all encompassing. 

If you would like to correspond privately, give me your email address.  Otherwise, leave a note here and I will respond.

Linda from BC, Canada

Offline rylmoxmoshburt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 March 12 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linda Not sure if I can post my email address as this was my first post, *.

I am a decendent of Archdall and Benjamin, the two brothers who came to Ontario.

My great grandmother was Maria Burtchaell, first daughter of Archdale and Maria Burtchaell.

Maria married my grgrandfather Charles Thomas Ryall, April 15, 1855 in Toronto.

We have a trip planned for Ireland in May and I was hopeing to sort out a few things before then.

Your help would be much appreciated, Thanks Ken Ryall, Dunsford, Ontario, about 2 hours north of Toronto. We are actually faily close to where Benjamin Burton Burtchaell and Pheobe Weir settled.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 March 12 05:19 GMT (UK) »
Ken, I would love to talk to you offline, as your line (Archdall) is the one I am interested in! Although I am not a Burtchaell descendant I have an interest in Archdall through his marriages.
I will email you.
katharine.