Author Topic: Hammond family of Graiguenamanagh  (Read 10913 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hammond family of Graiguenamanagh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hammonds_Forge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_475922.jpg

Link for image of Hammonds forge in Coppenagh, Co Kilkenny.  There is an inscription on the stone at the gable.  You can just about see emblem of a pike.  There is another image somewhere on the internet which shows the inscription clearly but I cant find it at present.

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 April 14 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My niece has been telling me about someone online trying to trace information on Henry Hammond, Graiguenamanagh. My father inherited Henry Hammond's home and that's where we grew up. The townsland is called Aghclare, Graiguenamanagh. This is the official spelling. Locally we spell it "Aclare". We have always wanted to know more about Henry but we know very little. No one is sure if he was married or not. No one even knows what age he was. It is suspected that after his hanging many of his family were deported to Canada or Australia. There are two census online now 1901 and 1911. You will see his ancestors are still in the house and are blacksmiths. Have you made any more progress yourself, or what is your family's connection to Graiguenamanagh? Would love to hear.

Hi there

A few years ago, I had someone from St. John's parish in Kilkenny help me with researching my tree, I think he might of been the parish secretary or similar.

I know that my great great grandmother was Katherine Hammond, she was born in Graiguenamanagh (1840s, I can't remember exact date off hands will have to check her record) and was the daughter of Henry Hammond and Honor Lee. Henry ended up going to Thomastown and then ended up in Kilkenny. I am not sure who Henry's parents are, I haven't been able to locate a baptism for him but the person from St. John's parish, Kilkenny , said it was very likely he was a descendant of thee Henry Hammond, possibly a grandson. He did put me in touch with someone who descends from thee Henry Hammond of the 1798 rebellion, who I believe lives in a Graiguenamanagh, but despite several emails I didn't have much luck getting a response.

Look forward to hearing back from you
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline M. Gemma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 April 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Shevy
That is very interesting. We had always thought Henry Hammond (of 1798) was unmarried. It would be great to discover a connection going right back to then. There was a family from Canada in Ireland a few years ago who visited Aclare and had photos taken at the plaque which is erected on the old forge. We only heard about this afterwards and wondered who it was. Was this your family by any chance? Also I'm not sure whose email you got from the person in Kilkenny. If you can give me some names and dates I can check them out for you.
Gemma

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 April 14 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Shevy
That is very interesting. We had always thought Henry Hammond (of 1798) was unmarried. It would be great to discover a connection going right back to then. There was a family from Canada in Ireland a few years ago who visited Aclare and had photos taken at the plaque which is erected on the old forge. We only heard about this afterwards and wondered who it was. Was this your family by any chance? Also I'm not sure whose email you got from the person in Kilkenny. If you can give me some names and dates I can check them out for you.
Gemma

No not my family, but I am now in Canada, my mum is in Waterford, the hammonds are her ancestors. I will send you a PM with the name of the contact I was given. I did get one reply for him, but never heard any more after that. I don't know if there was an issue with email accounts.

It is possible thee Henry Hammond wasn't married, perhaps he was a great uncle or similar to my Henry Hammond.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill