Author Topic: Lannan Family  (Read 30955 times)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lannan Family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Taken from a book called "Conahy" by John Meagher page 167 there is an Obituary Notice  originally in Kilkenny Journal Nov 26th 1888 for Martin Farrell Sr who died Nov 21 1888 aged 102.  According to this he was a bone-setter of Clinstown near Ballyragget and a "comfortable" farmer. He is interred in Conahy. He was born St Martins Day 1786. He had a son also Martin, also two daughters Mrs William Meehan and Mrs Michael Hassett (did not give their first names). In a following article there is a "Personal War Record of Martin Farrell jnr" from Fitchburg Historical Society.   

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
Patrick Lannan c1760 married Catherine Maher I think in Wexford and moved to Kilkenny,   Any info on Lannan families appreciated.  I have found Martin and Michael c1790's in Swiftsheath, Martin's descendants came to australia, Michael's went to USA.

Also looking for Martin Farrell c 1790's.
Taken from a book called "Conahy" by John Meagher page 167 there is an Obituary Notice  originally in Kilkenny Journal Nov 26th 1888 for Martin Farrell Sr who died Nov 21 1888 aged 102.  According to this he was a bone-setter of Clinstown near Ballyragget and a "comfortable" farmer. He is interred in Conahy. He was born St Martins Day 1786. He had a son also Martin, also two daughters Mrs William Meehan and Mrs Michael Hassett (did not give their first names). In a following article there is a "Personal War Record of Martin Farrell jnr" from Fitchburg Historical Society.   
:)       

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
You say that LANNAN  is derived from LEONARD. In a list of Landholdings of Kilkennys principal Catholic families, yes there is LEONARD in the midst of them. In 1641 LEONARD has 565 acres and by 1688 has nil. 

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 22:23 BST (UK) »
Ozranga, my sources for your info were from Census in both Ireland and Australia. I checked them after finding it on Public Member Trees while searching my Patrick Lannan, I am trying to find siblings as I know there were more children, I came across a good site, irelandxo.com (Ithink that's right) which is free and is still being updated, try that.

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 June 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
Conahy,  Yes, that's my Martin! I have a newspaper cutting on either My Heritage.com or Ancestry.com about his death/life. Thanks for that, I knew he had more siblings but have been unable to find them before, at least I have something to go on now. He must have been an amazing person to reach that age. :)
I have been in touch with a person who claims to have the Lannan/Butler line back to 1200, but he is not a 'sharing' type of man. He did tell me that Lannan was derived from Leonard, but I have also seen documents referring to O'Lainnan in about 1200 which is confusing.

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 June 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
Conahy,  Yes, that's my Martin! I have a newspaper cutting on either My Heritage.com or Ancestry.com about his death/life. Thanks for that, I knew he had more siblings but have been unable to find them before, at least I have something to go on now. He must have been an amazing person to reach that age. :)
I have been in touch with a person who claims to have the Lannan/Butler line back to 1200, but he is not a 'sharing' type of man. He did tell me that Lannan was derived from Leonard, but I have also seen documents referring to O'Lainnan in about 1200 which is confusing.
re Martin Farrell (bone-setter) who died 1888, Mrs William Meehan and Mrs Michael Hassett are his daughters.
Sorry I m still learning how to add quotes and have put them in the wrong order.  Clinstown is adjacent to Swiftsheath.  Was it from the headstone inscriptions that you found Martin Farrell s (bone-setter) siblings  or is it the siblings of Martin junior for which you are looking?

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 June 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
Donoughmore Graveyard near Ballyragget.  Bridget Phelan alias Lannen died aug 1786 aged 57.         another inscription Joan FARREL  alias Purcell who with 5 of her children lie here.  She died sept 1790 aged 90 yrs.   John FARREL her husband died may 1791 aged 97yrs.           another inscrip     Honora Dunn alias FARRILL died june 1827 aged 56. 

Offline 888shelley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 June 13 22:59 BST (UK) »
Donoughmore Graveyard near Ballyragget.  Bridget Phelan alias Lannen died aug 1786 aged 57.         another inscription Joan FARREL  alias Purcell who with 5 of her children lie here.  She died sept 1790 aged 90 yrs.   John FARREL her husband died may 1791 aged 97yrs.           another inscrip     Honora Dunn alias FARRILL died june 1827 aged 56.
This could well be part of my family,1st sons were often named after their paternal gfather and ditto for daughters being named after gma. 2nd sons & daughters were named after maternal side of the family or siblings of their parents.
I think it was Martin Farrell(O'Farrell) Snr and his wife Anastasia ?Breen(Brenan) that were born in New Ross and yes Martin was buried in Clinstown. They were land tenants in Swiftsheath and later landholders.
Patrick Lannan Snr was born in Wexford, looking all these places up on Google Earth they are not that far from each other given that Ireland is only a small country compared to Australia.
Patrick's wife Catherine Maher was born in Carlow in about 1760's, but I have nothing further on her.
I think Patrick's father may have been Edward Lannan c.1730 and given the naming traditions he was  therefore not the 1st son.
I have also seen records of younger Edward's,Patrick's,Michael's, Denis and Thomas (all born roughly 1800's) in Police Gazettes and being tried for various offences. I believe they may have been IRA sympathisers as my ggpa Patrick was quite a radical when he moved to Victoria Australia according to other info I have. Interestingly when the ship carrying the Lannan family arrived in Australia it was quarantined about 500 meters from where I grew up as a child, I never knew this until recently!
Thanks for all your help and hopefully it may crack my brickwall!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 June 13 00:38 BST (UK) »
888shelley
Have you checked "Griffiths Valuation" available online?   Its dated 1850 for this area.  Swiftsheath was part of Coolcraheen parish at that time according to the maps (later became part of Conahy parish). There is a Martin Farrell in Swiftsheath, a tenant of Godwin Swift.   Martin Farrell himself also has a subtenant listed.  Patrick Lannan and Michael Lannan each have separate holdings  in Swiftsheath also.  I find the maps quite awkward to handle but very worthwhile if you have enough patience   ;D