Author Topic: sir William St Le(d)ger  (Read 6248 times)

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sir William St Le(d)ger
« on: Tuesday 23 October 12 12:05 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information concerning Sir William St Leger who lived at Gravesend in 1912?  I think his wife was known as Fanny.  I am researching the name Pascoe and believe that William or Fanny have a Pascoe connection.  Many thanks, Cec

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sir William St Le(d)ger
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 12:49 BST (UK) »
I can't see any St Leger people, living in Gravsend (Kent) on the 1911 census.

And puzzled as to why you posted this under Devon?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Are you referring to Gravesend House, associated with the Than(c)kes estate in Torpoint? (I had a question about it myself recently!)

If you go here:

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=243923,55486

and click on "enlarge map" for

1881-1890 Pre-WWII 1:2,500 - CORNWALL & ISLES OF SCILLY

you can see the location.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
Nope, it is indeed Gravesend, Kent:

John Hunter ST LEDGER and a  family recorded as LEDGER, in Gravesend; also LEDGERs in other places recorded as born in Gravesend.

I can't copy the details here but go here

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

and search for

surname ledger
place of birth gravesend

I guess the Devon connection being invetigated is the surname Pascoe and whether anyone knows of a connection between that surname and the St Ledger family.

It could help to explain what you think the connection is, ceccharlton -- if you believe there is one, it must be because you have an idea what it is!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 23:22 BST (UK) »
I would guess that Pascoe is more a Cornish name so again puzzled why you post this in Devon
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
My thoughts as well -- I was composing this in the meantime ...

A Fanny Louisa St Ledger married in Falmouth in 1889, one of the possible grooms: James Pascoe.

Conversely, a Fanny Pascoe married in Falmouth in 1863, one of the possible grooms: James St Ledger.

(I had only searched for possible Pascoe + St Ledger marriages and they happened to involve Fannys.)

Only one St Ledger event in Devon:

William James Ranger St Ledger died in Plymouth in 1859/60.

Easy searches at FreeBMD: http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

However, there are a number of ST LEGER events in Devon.

I might guess that the Fanny Pascoe who married St Ledger is in the 1911 census in a household in Falmouth where there are also Pascoes. An Ancestry user has corrected her surname from St Leger, so it would be worth checking there and contacting that user perhaps.

... Actually, the household doesn't include Pascoes. This is one of Ancestry's mashed-together messes of multiple households (it has also falsely called a member of the household Ledger whose surname was something else). The Pascoes are next door.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is linked . . . .

In Gravesend Cemetery, there is a gravestone to John Hunter St Ledger.

CWGC has some more details:

Died 8th May 1917  age 19
Able Seaman, Mercantile Marine Reserve, of H.M. Yacht Zarefah.
Son of Comdr. and Mrs. W. H. St. Ledger, of "Woodbine," Whitehall Rd., Gravesend.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ceccharlton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 October 12 23:56 BST (UK) »
I can't see any St Leger people, living in Gravsend (Kent) on the 1911 census.

And puzzled as to why you posted this under Devon?

Thanks for your help.   The Devon posting was a mistake and should have been Cornwall

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 October 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
No explanation of what the connection between the names is or how someone might help?

John Hunter St Ledger would of course be the son of

William Henry St Ledger
Ellen Hughina R Hunter

who married in 1896 in Birkenhead.

If William was born in Falmouth in 1866, he was the son of James, a mariner, and Mary, on the 1871 census in Falmouth; his surname has been multiply corrected at Ancestry by two users who would likely be the people to ask about him.

Ah, there we are. The name Mary is a mistranscription and has been corrected by the same people at Ancestry to Fanny. They are the couple I referred to earlier:

James St Ledger
Fanny Pascoe

who married in Falmouth in 1863.

So William Henry St Ledger's wife was Ellen Hunter, but his mother was Fanny Pascoe.

In 1901, William, Ellen, John, 3, and Christiana, 1, are in Gravesend, where William is the chief mate on HM customs cutter. (Your saying "at" Gravesend was what made me think first of the house in Torpoint.) In 1911 John is at private school in Gravesend, Ellen is with her sister in Birkenhead, and William, I don't see.