Author Topic: It's Gone Wrong  (Read 10142 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: It's Gone Wrong
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 23:56 BST (UK) »
Have just double checked on 1871 Census and no trace of either John (previously Farmer but in 1861 just Ag.Lab.) or Susannah i.e. he is the one d. Sept.1865 and she is the Susanna d.Mar.1871.

John Langmaid (the carpenter, Richards father, who remarried in 1860 and thereafter lived in St. Veep) was bur.10/7/1877 St Veep. 

I think the major problem here is that we have 2 John Langmaid's (one a carpenter and the other Farmer/Ag.Lab) who both say they were bc.1795 in Lansallos but parish records only show a baptism for one.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Annette, so who was the younger wife and when did John pass away? I also show in my Family History that John the Carpenter, father of Richards father was also a John and married to a Mary Thomas. They married at St Veep Parish Church on the 25 May 1791. She was born in 1764 and died in 1839. I show one son John who married Mary Wymouth Broad on the 7 May 1818, the same year that their son Richard was born. I know nothing about John marrying a younger wife. So still confused, but all ears as they say!
Regards

Graham the confused
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
the info about John's second marriage is on your earlier post. The advice was to buy the cert for this marriage to confirm name & occupation for his father. Did you get the cert?

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My earlier post refers to Richards second marriage, I have never had John his father married twice. No I did not get a marriage certificate. I was hopeful that I had solved the mix up with their being the two very alike families in the same region. Too many Johns is the problem!
Regards
Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
have a look at rely 15 on that post, Trish gives the 1861 & 1871 census entries for John & the marriage ref.

Perhaps worth a re-read?

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Gralorn
I have an interest in Langmaids/Longmeads/other variations.  I made contact with the Polperro FHS some time ago and got lots of info from them - which helped me a great deal.  I checked and confirmed the branch that interested me and chased up some wills and documents to confirm relationships.

So going backwards to go forwards with your John - bear with me here...
Henry Langmaid/Langmead (b 12 Feb 1733, d. 23 May 1789) married Elizabeth Soby.  In his will dated 1 April 1789 he mentions his sons & daughters by name, including:

"Also I will and direct that my son John Langmaid shall have my leasehold Tenement called Trenewan after the end of the said seven years during the Remainder of the term. I now hold in the same he paying to my executors such sum of money, as the said Estate or Tenement shall be appraised in above the Value of Two Hundred Pounds. The said estates to be appraised and valued by two or more proper judges to be chosen for that purpose by the Joint Consent of all my trustees and in case Either of my said Sons Henry and John shall offer to make Sale or Mortgage either of my said Tenemants of Bake or Trenewan during the term..."

So ...... "Trenewan" comes up here in relation to a John Langmaid

This might give you clues to help sort out John, carpenter, versus John, farmer/labourer??

If you want me to email you the transcript I did of Henry's will, pm me.
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 12:36 BST (UK) »
This sure is very confusing.

In simplistic form the Langmaid's at Trenewan, Lansallos seem to be the farmers.

We know that John Langmaid, carpenter, lived at Bogga Mill (or similar) when children baptised.

I think I would try to trace apprenticeship records for John which may reveal more details about him.

Burials on FreeReg show 3 John Langmaid's of Trenewan (census shows a lot of people lived at Trenewan besides Langmaid's) who were buried at Lansallos:

John bc.1756 bur.9/10/1822
John bc.1768 bur.27/4/1838
John bc.1795 bur.13/8/1865 (this is the one married to Susanna)

In the 1790's there were 3 John's baptising children at Lansallos:

1. John married to Cecilia Scott 1/8/1791 - William 1794, Francis 1796 and Thomas 1798. This John was a mariner.
2. John (carpenter) married to Mary (Mary Thomas 25/5/1791 St. Veep?) who had Henry 1798, William 1800, Peggy 1804 and Ann 1806.   However - a John and Mary had 2 children baptised at Lanteglas by Fowey - Elizabeth Soby bp.21/3/1793 and John bp.25/5/1795.   From Elizabeth's second Christian name one would think that father John was the son of the Henry married to Elizabeth Soby (from will details posted by cocksie)
  BUT
3. John married to Rebecca Sweet 18/4/1787 Maker had at least 5 children baptised at Lansallos 1791 to 1806 which included a John bp.14/7/1794.   This family seemed to have been farmers if I'm reading things right but who was the father of John senior if, as records suggest, the John married to Mary Thomas was the son of Henry Langmaid and Elizabeth Soby?

It sure is a poser.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
there's an online catalogue for the Record Office in Truro
http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/DServe/searchpage.htm

Can't see any apprenticeship records for John La/ongmaid. Lots of entries for Trenewan, leases to the Langmaid family.Also some wills that might help sort out who is who
John Longmaid yeoman of Lansallos 1823 ref AP/L/2204
Rebecca Longmaid Lansallos 1836 AP/L/2354
John Langmaid Fisherman Lansallos 1804 AP/L/2051
Mary Langmaid Lansallos 1839 AP/L/2378

But the first step would be the marriage cert from 1860 to see what details John gave for his father
John Langmaid march qtr 1860 Liskeard vol 5c pg 129 with Rebecca Best on the same page.
John's second wife Rebecca died 15 Jan 1894 & was buried in St Stephen in Brannel Cemetery 18 Jan aged 66, noted as widow of John Langmaid, carpenter
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=2468875

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
Its certainly getting confusing again, my Family Tree at present starts with a JOHN Langmaid born 1694 who died in 1770, he married Joan Lyne, marriage date not known and they had a son Henry Langmaid born 1733, he married Elizabeth Soby in 1759 and died in 1789. (He was supposedly a Yeoman Farmer) Elizabeth died in 1800, They had six children, JOHN who marries Mary Thomas in 1791 at St Veep, Thomas, Henry,Elizabeth, Catherine and Peggy. JOHN and Mary Thomas have five children, a son JOHN who is married to Mary Wymouth Broad, plus Mary Ann, Elizabeth, Henry and Catherine. JOHN & Mary Broad have seven children, a son Richard who marries Elizabeth Pearce, Ann,Magaretta, Francis, Selina, Matilda,and Harriet. Then we have Richard and Elizabeth, Elizabeth dies in childbirth having William who eventually marries Mary Hazel, other children are Mary Ellen, Fanny and Harry. The rest of the tree is factual. I have the wills already. Its that Trewanan Farm that seems to confuse and the wills do not speak of the children I have either.
Grey Haired Graham
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen