Author Topic: Michael W. Costigan  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Michael W. Costigan
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:19 BST (UK) »
http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

very slow to load - National veteran grave locator.
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 April 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

Here's the update on this search for Michael W. Costigan's death:

1) national veteran grave locator did not turn up anything on him

2) I managed to get some info off the US Dept of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File on Ancestry.com--no major breakthrough here but it confirms the SS Death Index's info.

3) My aunt was against throwing money away on unknown results--so that means we did not get any death certificate from Albany, NY.

Any idea as to where to find a reliable confirmation on where he died in so we could obtain the death certificate?

My Aunt is getting on in her years now and is not well lately.

I would love to find this piece of paper on her father's death so we can get his birth certificate to complete her family genealogy. She was planning to make presents to her children but her father is the only person to hold it up.

I hope someone here has a better idea or suggestion as to where we can press on in finding his death record.

Thank you for your help in advance,

Tees

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 April 12 19:40 BST (UK) »
Do you have anything that gives his location after the war?  Any family members of his who were in touch with him & living/died in the US post-war? 

New Jersey is two bridges or tunnels away from Brooklyn, so it's not terribly likely that someone would go to a hospital or nursing home in New Jersey from Brooklyn.  A common path of migration for someone who wanted to get out of Brooklyn and to the suburbs is to Long Island. 

If all else fails, maybe someone can try to order the certificate as a gift for your aunt?