Author Topic: 51 OTU Cranfield, Mosquito Intruder training 13/4/43  (Read 16621 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
51 OTU Cranfield, Mosquito Intruder training 13/4/43
« on: Saturday 14 October 06 19:15 BST (UK) »
After many years of searching I have finally made contact with the family of the Pilot, Squadron Leader Geoffrey Charles Matheson, who was killed in action with my wife's father, his navigator, Fl. Sergeant Laurence W Bush on the night of 23-24/8/43.

They were together at 51 OTU,Cranfield from 13/4/1943 before being attached to 418 RCAF squadron.

These photos of the Mosquito Intruder training course may be of interest to others. They include Charles "last time" Scherf, DSO DFC & bar of 418 squadron and "Pip" E.T. Orringe, DFC of 605 squadron.

We would be interested to hear from other family members with links to the men in these pictures.
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline wag928

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 51 OTU Cranfield, Mosquito Intruder training 13/4/43
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
Pip Orringe was Navigator with my uncle Alan Wagner in 1944 when he got his DFC and Alan a bar to his. Alan was killed in the July in a Hawker Tempest chasing a V1 in fog at night over southern England. I wonder if Pip survived the War and if he, or any of his family, might read this.

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 07 20:12 BST (UK) »
Pip Orringe did survive the war but was killed in an air crash in 1953. http://www.shadowsoftime.co.nz/squadron53c.html

I have made contact with his family and understand his younger brother is still alive.

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline thorne83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, this photo is of No 1 Course, 60 OTU (which was formed from 51 OTU at RAF High Ercall in Shropshire). I have an interest in the Shropshire airfields and would be very interested if you could send me an email at tomthorne83ATyahooDOTcoDOTuk

I have full list of all names on both photos. There is a copy of this photo in the war diary for 60 OTU and it lists all the names and what squadrons they were posted to and also their fates. Of the 12 pilots photographed, eight are listed as being killed or missing. All of them went on to serve with either 23 or 418 Squadron's, except for Sgt R G Aldworth and Squadron Leader B G Taylor AFC who went to 605 Squadron.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tom 

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 07 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your posting Tom, I will email you with what we have learned of the other people in the pictures.

It is interesting that the information given us by the RAF historical records unit was not absolutely accurate in the regard of the OTU being 51 or 60 ! I take it that it was 51 when they joined it but that the war diary for 60 covered also the unit when it was numbered 51 ?

best,

Howard

Offline wag928

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 07 19:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply. I was sad to learn of Pip Orringe's death. Do you know what happened? If you are in touch with his family would you care to ask them if they would be prepared to allow me to contact them.
Nick

Offline cherylm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 August 09 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there i have just found this site while trying to find out some info about my Grandad "PIP" Eric Orringe.Came acroos the pictures of the squadron and if anyone could get in touch by e-mail or would be willing to ring my mum,his eldest daughter Gillian,please leave a posting here and i will then forward contact details. Hope someone can help,sincerely Cheryl. :)

Offline hooter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 April 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
I saw this post, and can tell you kit cotter served with 23, and finished his tour, but was killed, possibly in a car crash in germany in 1948-more than that I dont know.
He did serve in Malta and Italy before returning to the UK
I am writing a book, or trying to, on the squadron at little snoring, of which my father was a member, and anything like the OTU pictures are gold dust, and if anybody can tell me anymore about any members of 23 squadron, I would be thrilled. (Or have any pictures of 51, 54, or 60 OTU)
I will quit happily email members excerpts if they wish to see what ive been up to.
I would really like to find out where F/Lt Lignon (Free french Air Force) is buried-his nav, manny callas in in the Reichswald cemetary.
Mine is an obsession much like Geneology.
best to all

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
I found this on John Augustin Le Rossignol (front row second from the right, labelled L'Rossignol) who was with 23 Squadron briefly. (as would have my late father-in-law had he not 'volunteered' to join the 418 Squadron after having received his tropical kit and been assigned to 23 Squadron in Malta).

born Berlin, Germany 25.09.1911.
Son of Robert Le Rossignol, British physical chemist who was working for the Auer Lighting Company, later to become 'Osram', and Agnes Emily Le Rossignol, of Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, later of Harrow, Middlesex.

KIA 05.09.1943 [age 31] [Catania War Cemetery, Sicily, II.C.9]

HTH,

Howdie