Author Topic: The name "Thirlow" or Thurlow Fraser  (Read 24338 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: The name "Thirlow" or Thurlow Fraser
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 August 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
So to summarise (if only to get things straight in my own mind).

We have several different Thurlow Frasers
(1) Born 1825/6 in Fraserburgh
(2) Born in the parish of Gamrie on 30 June 1841
(3) Born 22 July 1858 in the parish of New Deer
(4) Born on 20 May 1859 in the parish of Tyrie
(5) Born on 23 December 1863 in the parish of Ellon

No 1 married Jane Cowie. His son is No 5.

No 2 is the son of George Fraser, born 1813/4 in Fraserburgh, and Jean Rankin.

No 3 is the son of William Fraser, born 1819/9 in Fraserburgh. He was a farm servant. He had an illegitimate son, Charles Fraser, whose mother was Elspet Skene. Subsequently he married Mary Park and moved to England, and Thurlow died there in 1940.

No 4 was the illegitimate son of John Dunlop, clerk, and Margaret Fraser, who was born 1837/9 in Fraserburgh. He was known throughout his life as Thurlow Dunlop. He was a blacksmith. In 1885 he married Annie Ross. Their eldest son was named Thurlow, born 1886. The family emigrated to Manitoba in 1887, and Thurlow Sr died there in 1936.

No 5 was the son of No 1.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 August 13 08:05 BST (UK) »
Just done something similar:

Charles Fraser 1881
Parents - Elspet/Elsie Skene and Thirlow Fraser
Thirlow Fraser 1858
Parents - William Fraser and Isabella Mitchell
William Fraser 1818
Parents - Alexander Fraser and Christiana/Christina/ Christian Mitchell
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 August 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
Having problems with laptop - charging on and off and connection is a bit iffy (Wester Ross!) - any chance of finding Charles Fraser on the 1891/1901 censuses, please.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline daisypetals01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 August 13 11:05 BST (UK) »
I am so glad that you two summarized this!!  :)  I was buried knee deep in notes.
This information has been very helpful. I am liking the William Fraser connection.
Just wondering about something. I have an Alexander Fraser being married to a Jean Bruce and then to a Christine Burnett. Is this the same Alexander Fraser, forester to Lord Saltoun who was married to a Catharine Thurlow with no issue? I read a story somewhere that she wanted the Thurlow name passed down via one of Alexander Fraser's, (forester) children. He had a Thurlow listed as one of his sons who had a son William.

I dug up in my notes another loose thread. It goes back to the Margaret Fraser possibility.
I have a Margaret Fraser born in 1839 in Tarves. Parents unknown. Child Thirlow? She married a George Mutch in 1860 and immigrated to Manitoba. A Thirlow Fraser was in Tarves in 1881 census.
Just curious. It might be a wrench thrown into the works.

sigh...it's like a jigsaw puzzle.
I do thankyou for your efforts. It is making my pile of notes shrink!

Offline daisypetals01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 August 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Read about Thurlow Dunlop's life in a History of LaRiviere, Manitoba website. LaRiviere is near Winnipeg, Manitoba. He stayed with the name Thurlow Dunlop and established a family base there. He came there as a blacksmith.

Which brings me back to Charles Fraser who was also a blacksmith at a place north of Winnipeg, Manitoba called Grosse Isle.
Was being a blacksmith a common trade in Scotland in the late 1880's? Was it a trade readily available to farm servants and domestics?

I haven't any information on when he emigrated to Canada.
When he came here to Canada he married a Helen Harley Whittit Reid and had 11 children. Even though that he had a large and close family, there were no other "aunts and uncles or cousins" that the 11 children could ever remember associating with on his side of the family and apparently he was quite closed mouth about his parentage/family.  Wonder why? Was it a big secret to be born on the 'wrong side of the blanket"?

So, what I have found here does help very much. Still, some questions do crop up.
Hoping to find some more answers as this is a very interesting challenge.
Thankyou!  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 August 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Quote from: daisypetal
Just wondering about something. I have an Alexander Fraser being married to a Jean Bruce and then to a Christine Burnett. Is this the same Alexander Fraser, forester to Lord Saltoun who was married to a Catharine Thurlow with no issue? I read a story somewhere that she wanted the Thurlow name passed down via one of Alexander Fraser's, (forester) children. He had a Thurlow listed as one of his sons who had a son William.

It would seem a strong possibility that it was the same one as Alexander is down as a forester. However, William was born in 1818 and Margaret was b. 1838 and Alexander and Christian/Christiana are both given as their parents, so Christian (variations) could  have been a second  wife. 

Note that Thurlow Dunlop was the son of Charles Fraser's great aunt and, as such was not in a direct line to Charles. Thurlow Dunlop and Thirlow Fraser(son of William and Isabella) were first cousins.

I see that Charles was at 785 William Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba on the 1911. Emmigrated in 1908.

Did he  marry Ellen Reid in 1912?

I see from the 1916 census of Manitoba, Sas, and Alb. that he and Nellie had daughters *M and *E

Have you managed to get hold of this marriage cert - if so, it should show hiw parents' names.

Gadget

* Added - as at least one of them is still alive, I've edited out their names

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 August 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that Alexander Fraser would have been related to the Saltoun Frasers though as "he died on 18 August 1853 at age 68, without issue" ( http://thepeerage.com/p3085.htm ).

Added - there's this tree on Family Search: not sure of the accuracy.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MNG7-46X

Other info suggests that she was the illegitimate daughter of the first Baron Thurlow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Thurlow,_1st_Baron_Thurlow and http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Thurlow,_Edward_%281731-1806%29_%28DNB00%29

Offline daisypetals01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 August 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that Alexander Fraser would have been related to the Saltoun Frasers though as "he died on 18 August 1853 at age 68, without issue" ( http://thepeerage.com/p3085.htm ).
No, I don't think he was either. I just wanted to know if that Alexander Fraser, forester, was the same one that was forester for Lord Saltoun who had died with no issue with Catharine Thurlow. She was an illigitimate daughter of Baron Thurlow. That much I did find out in my searches of Thurlow.
This way, I can keep these Frasers straight and find out about Alexander Fraser, forester and who  his parents were.
Interesting family as I pick up stories here and there, but I see there are two distinctly different branches. I am more interested in the Frasers from Aberdeenshire.

As for information of Charles Fraser's arrival in Canada, thankyou! 
I haven't looked at his birth certificate yet. I do know that his parents are Thirlow Fraser and Elspet Skene. I just didn't know which Thirlow Fraser it was.

Yes, His first two children were girls and their names were (*) and (*) His wife's name was Helen, not Ellen and were together until he died in 1952.
(*) just had her 100th birthday party!(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data. 
They were a happy, active and close family who all did well for themselves and they still have reunions as the direct family of Charles Fraser grew to over 75 direct descendents. Included were two grandsons who played professional hockey in the NHL.

Again, you two have been such a help. Thankyou!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
His wife's name was Helen, not Ellen

Helen (or Hellen) and Ellen are interchangeable, and both are often found as Nell or Nellie. You find people named Hel(l)en on their birth certificates turning up as Ellen in later records, and vice versa. So you can't really say with certainty 'Helen, not Ellen' or 'Ellen, not Helen'. Nell(ie) also turns up as an abbreviation for Eleanor.

The same applies to several other pairs of names: Janet/Jessie is the one that most often causes confusion. Then there's Jean/Jane, Donald/Daniel, Peter/Patrick. Occasionally an Elizabeth turns up as Beatrice (via Betty or Betsy) or Isabel(la), the latter being originally a Spanish version of Elizabeth.

See www.whatsinaname.net
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.