Author Topic: marriage certificate Scotland  (Read 788 times)

Offline retire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage certificate Scotland
« on: Thursday 04 September 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what information would be on the certificate of someone married in Cannogate  in 1803. I have to number to order it but wonder what info it will give me .
emes Bennett wiley bowles foster devitt luetchford mccurdy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: marriage certificate Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 14 18:15 BST (UK) »
This is not a marriage certificate. They did not start until 1855. What you have is an entry in a parish marriage register. To be honest, you can't tell until you see it. It might just say that A and B, both in this parish were intending to marry. On the other hand, it might give addresses, occupations, fathers' names, the dates of proclamations and the date of the marriage itself. Because you paid a returnable deposit as a mark of seriousness, there might be a comment about the amount or a reason why it was not returned.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage certificate Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
You can pay 5 credits on ScotlandsPeople to view the page of the parish register.  You can download the image, print it, save it.  I'm not sure why you would wish to order a certified copy of the entry for an event from 200 years ago.  The downloaded image is the same, just without the certification.  And you would get it quicker   ;)

Examples of images can be seen via the link at the bottom of this page: http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&406

The example is a beautifully written example from 1820.  Not all are quite so legible.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk