Author Topic: Help finding a Scottish Marriage  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding a Scottish Marriage
« on: Tuesday 16 September 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Am really struggling to find a marriage for my ancestor and wondered if you good folk could rescue me.  ;D

Groom: John Cornish born 1820 in Monkwearmouth, Durham
Bride: Jane (also know as Jesse/Jessie) Born Dundee c1819 according to census.

Their first child John Cornish was born 1833 and the various census returns state he was born in Scotland.

Due to Jane being Scottish and first child born in Scotland (all subsequent children born in Sunderland area) I assume the marriage took place in Scotland but I can't seem to find anything  ??? I have also tried to find it in Durham/Sunderland area and drawing a blank. I can't seem to find a baptism for John Cornish Jnr on either side of the border also!

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Many Thanks :)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a Scottish Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
The dates you give suggest the parents were thirteen and fourteen when the child was born.

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 22:37 BST (UK) »
Doh!  :-[ Typo! The birth date for the son should read 1843.

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
There is not a single person, male or female, named Cornish listed in any extant Scottish records as born in the country between the start of 1840 and the end of 1845. Nor is there any marriage listed in Scotland between 1835 and 1845 for a "John Cornish"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 23:04 BST (UK) »
Groom: John Cornish born 1820 in Monkwearmouth, Durham
Bride: Jane (also know as Jesse/Jessie) Born Dundee c1819 according to census.
Their first child John Cornish was born 1833 and the various census returns state he was born in Scotland.

Are you sure about this? Because in 1833 Jane/Janet/Jessie would have been only about 14, and John only 13.

I am assuming that you have exhausted the possibilities of Scotland's People and Durham Records Online. It is also possible that the marriage was never recorded, or if it was, that the record has not survived.

There is a family in the 1851 census in Sunderland, but it's very hard to read: John Cornish, age 30?, shoemaker, born Monkwearmouth, with wife Jane, 28, born Scotland, son John, 11, born Scotland, son Uriah, 3, born Sunderland and son Charles, possibly 10 days (it's a poor image of bad handwriting).

In 1861, there is Jane, widowed, 42, born Scotland, with John, 18, born Scotland, Uriah, 13 and Charles, 10, both born Sunderland.

I see that the 1891 census gives Jane's birthplace as Dundee, and age 71.

You no doubt have all these censuses already, but as you didn't say which you had and in what year it was not possible to consider them in detail.

With a gap of 8 years between John and Uriah, could this be a second marriage for one (or both) of them? If John was Jane/Janet/Jessie/Jean's son, he might have been baptised with a completely different name.

FreeBMD lists the birth of Uriah in 1848, and Charles in 1850, in Sunderland. If I were you I would get one of their birth certificates to find out what Jane/Jean/Jessie/Janet's surname was.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone taking the time to help me.  It looks like for the time being it will remain a mystery.

Others researching the tree believe that Jane/Jesse's maiden name was Mills but I have yet to get the  cert to prove this. Did some preliminary searching based on this info but the lack of "Cornish" folk in Scotland has put a spanner in the works.

Interesting theory about it being a second marriage. Certainly food for though. :)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 14 16:04 BST (UK) »
There are two "male "Cornish" marriages in Scotland, 1846 in Melrose, and 1854 in Glasgow, but neither is has the forename "John".
A David Cornish and Elizabeth Finley have John, 1847, Robert, 1849, David, 1851 and Ann, 1853.

A John Cornish and Elizabeth Campbell have John, 1832.

Regards

Malky.