Author Topic: Henderson, age gap.  (Read 6584 times)

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henderson, age gap.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Millmoor, I have Margaret Kilgour Hendersons birth from 1859 in Glasgow, had seen the 1861 census and was trying to find a Jessie Aitken that was related with no luck. I still have some more digging around to do.

Not sure if you've seen this one:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ6Q-QRS

Maureen

Hmm this is interesting, time for more research. Thank you.

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:33 BST (UK) »
I can't find a marriage between Elizabeth and Finlay on SP. Any idea why he wouldn't be listed as Janets dad on her marriage/death cert if he was actually her dad?

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 June 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
Found the birth for Janet, she's listed as Illegitimate, and under Elizabeth is written - widow of William Henderson (grocer). It all fits, thank you so much for the help.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 June 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks as though Jessie Aitken was the daughter of James Aitken and Ann Brunton. 1851 census they are in Leuchars, Fife but in 1861 they are in Southport, Lancashire - so Jessie must have been visiting grandparents. 1871 they are still in Southport. Also in the household is mother in law Margaret Brunton age 70 and listed as a widow and sister in law Margaret Kilgour age 35 and married. Margaret Kilgour is a visitor. Jessie in 1871would appear to be recorded as niece in the home of David and Catherine Russell in Liverpool.

Marriage of James Aitken and Ann Brunton in Cupar 19 July 1847.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 June 14 02:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll check it all out tomorrow and piece it together.

Any idea what it says here next to grocer?

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 June 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could it be (master) ?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 June 14 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Suggest you have a look at the 1861 census for William Henderson Address Chapel Village, Abbotshall

James Henderson 69 Rd Labourer b Aucterderran
Mary Henderson 70 wife B Leslie
William Henderson 28 son grocer b Abbotshall. Unfortunately the space on the transcription is blank re married/unmarried.

And in 1851 the address is Cottar Houses Abbotshall. Father James is showing as an ag lab and victualler. William is 18, unmarried and a grocer's assistant. A brother James 24, a widower and currier is also in the household along with his son James 3.

There is a birth for William Henderson 2 Sept 1832 Abbotshall with parents James Henderson and Mary Paton.

William

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 June 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Could it be (master) ?

Yes, definitely.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline heatherrr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 June 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
I had seen those census before thanks. Want to trace her actual father Finlay Ferguson now though. I think I've found a possible match in the 1871 and 1881 census but neither give much new information. What would be the best way to start tracing him given that I've got little info on him?

I appreciate the help.