Author Topic: Charles Dean  (Read 2358 times)

Offline frjdrdw

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Charles Dean
« on: Wednesday 10 September 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Cannot seem to find anything beyond a marriage in England for Charles Deane which says his birth was in Scotland - no other info and I know how difficult this makes searching!!  His birth is listed as abt 1800 - he married in England in 1845 -  thanks for any information, even wrong information helps illiminate some searching!!   :) :) :)  Have a great day, Fran
BROMLEY, NOYES, DEAN

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Dean
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran

You may need to view his marriage certificate to at least confirm his father's name, otherwise you may not be able to confirm his Scottish details with any certainty really.

There is this 1797 birth entry for example https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLN-QMV

Where did he live in England and who did he marry? Sometimes children's names give clues and link to grandparents' names.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
If his surname is spelt Deane rather than Dean and he married Mary Bond - then he was Charles Anthony and married 30.7.1845 at St John Horsleydown

Charles is shown as a mariner and a widower and his father was John occ caulker

Mary was a widow father Richard Lyel occ shipwright

Both shown as full age - witnesses John Newland and Mary Ann Cornish
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline frjdrdw

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both!  I did find the record of Charles, b. Crawford, Lenark, Scotland in 1797 -  His parents are listed as James Dean and Margaret Wightman -   There is also a Charles Dean who married a Margaret Duckworth in Manchester England in Dec of 1824 - However that record does not say where he was born -  the James Dean/Deane I am tracing was born in Aslley Bridge, Lancashire in 1824 and married in Aug of 1845 where his father is listed as Charles Dean, b. Scotland - Depending on census it appears the name has been spelled with the "e"  and without -  Only problem with the Charles of Crawford is his marriage in Scotland in 1824 -  James would have been born in England by then!!  James father is in all census records listed as born in Scotland so I suspect this is accurate - Enjoy your day both of you and thanks again -  Oh and don't worry about my linking to my Scot heritage - my great great grandmother was Matilda McIntosh - that line was very easily traced!!  Had no idea the Dean's might have any Scot in them but proud to take all the stubborness my family has and spread it across the generations!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
BROMLEY, NOYES, DEAN

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify

In your opening post you say that Charles was b Scotland around 1800 and married in England in 1845.  

Cannot seem to find anything beyond a marriage in England for Charles Deane which says his birth was in Scotland - no other info and I know how difficult this makes searching!!  His birth is listed as abt 1800 - he married in England in 1845

I think you mean that his son James married in 1845 as the 1841 census onwards shows Charles & wife Margaret living in Bolton with their children.  Margaret was born in Lancs and all children were b Lancs so any marriage would also be in Lancs

1851 shows daughters Elizabeth aged 25 and Margaret aged 8
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N13L-W5B
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXBX-TMB
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole for clarifying the last post.

I was confused too by the 1845 marriage reference (as you say, likely to be son James' marriage year).

Also, not certain to the reference to an 1824 marriage?

We are all just trying to help here, Fran  :)

Monica

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 September 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in 1824 in Lancs to Margaret Duckworth and that appears to be the correct marriage given this entry from www.lancashirebmd.org 

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1842

Margaret Dean    Bolton   mothers maiden name DUCKWORTH   EB/9/232

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 September 14 18:27 BST (UK) »

Only problem with the Charles of Crawford is his marriage in Scotland in 1824 -  James would have been born in England by then!! 

That is what confused me  :P

Fran, what is the date of the marriage of son James in 1824 that you have in your line?

Monica

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 September 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

According to Fran's previous reply - James was b 1824 Lancashire (Astley Bridge)

There is an 1841 entry for him aged 15 with parents Charles and Margaret.  On that census - Charles is shown as born in county (ie) Lancs but on subsequent censuses he is shown as b Scotland

Son James married in 1845 to Ann Doodson and it is presumably his marriage - not Charles - that Fran is referring to hence the confusion ???

As marriage certs do not show fathers birthplace - I am assuming she got Scotland from the census entries

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php