Author Topic: Looking for Connell, Connel & Connil from Lismore Island  (Read 4830 times)

Offline DollarConnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for Connell, Connel & Connil from Lismore Island
« on: Sunday 01 September 13 05:43 BST (UK) »
Hi I am working on my Connell family who have roots on Lismore Island, they were crofters at Balnagowan from 1890 back to at least 1750 if not earlier................keen to find any information relating to any Connell, Connel or Connil records for Lismore island, cheers
Connell's from Dollar 1890-1930, and Lismore Island 1750-1880

Offline MissMacCallum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Connell, Connel & Connil from Lismore Island
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 February 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I'm also working on a Connell/Conell family from Lismore. Or, to be correct, I have found a lady by the name Jane/Jean Connell (b. around 1803) in my tree (my gggg-grandmother), married to John Buchanan, but I can't seem to find any information on this Connell family.

These two live at/in Balnagoun (could possibly be the same place you are referring to) in the census from 1841.

Did you find anything on the Connells?
Cameron (Morvern, Oban)
MacCallum (Lismore)
Buchanan (Lismore)
Connell (Lismore)
Leishman (Cumbernauld)
Adam (Lanark/Fife)
Gilfillan (Lanark)

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 March 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Connel name is not in my family tree but have picked up some names while researching my Lismore ancestry.

Births
13 May 1778 Donald-son to Connel Connel and Mary McColl, Lismore
14 Jan 1784 Donald-son to Niel Connel and Anne Graham, Kilandrist Lismore
11 Nov 1816 Donald-son to John Stewart and Mary Connel, Balnagown Lismore
11 Mar 1819 James-son to Dugald McGregor and Janet Connel, Balnagown Lismore
20 Mar 1819 Jane-dau to John Stewart and Mary Connel, Balnagown Lismore
1 Jan 1824 Hugh-son to John Buchanan and Jane Connel, Balnagown Lismore
11 June 1831 U.K.-son to John Buchanan and Jane Connel, Balnagown Lismore
17 June 1831 John-son to Dugald McGregor and Janet Connel, Tirfoor Lismore
17 Dec 1836 Anne-dau toJames Connel and Sarah McCallum, Balure Lismore
15 Mar 1838 Connel-son to James Connel and Sarah McCallum, Balure Lismore
16 Jan 1904 Donald-son to Duncan Connel and Catherine McPherson, Balnagown Lismore
                                        Married 4 July 1895 Lismore
23 Nov 1909 Hector McPherson-son to Duncan Connel and Catherine McPherson, Balnagown
                                              Lismore
13 Oct 1911 Mary Jane-dau to Duncan Connel and Catherine McPherson, Balnagown Lismore
Also have a dau Mary born to Duncan McConnel and Mary Colquhoun, Achuaran Lismore, 6 Feb 1785, don't know if the Mc was inserted by mistake.

Deaths
31 Mar 1873-Catherine McGregor, age 50, ulceration of stomach, widow of John McGregor
                     Achuaran Lismore
                    F-Dugald McGregor (dec)  M-Janet Connel (dec)
                     dau Catherine McPhail present
11 Jan 1895-Connel Connel, Balnagown Lismore, crofter age 89, bronchitis, widower of Janet McColl
                    F-Donald Connel, crofter (dec) M-Jane Cameron (dec)
                     son Donald Connel present
25 July 1921-Donald Connel, Balnagown Lismore, single age 17, pulmonary tuberculosis,
                      F-Duncan Connel M-Catherine McPherson
                      Duncan Connel, father, present
1894             Janet McColl age 74, other surname Connel

Hope you find the above helpful

Offline DollarConnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 June 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lismore, yes thank you very much for your information. There are a number of the records you list I haven't been able to find.

I would like to find out your sources if I can or get copies of anything you may have. I will send you a PM with my email address.

Thank you again

Offline Hugh Walton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'm pretty sure we must be related! During lockdown I've been researching my family history having heard a lot about Lismore and Dollar when I was growing up. My grandmother was Jessie McColl Connell (she married Capt Montague Haynes). Her parents were John (1854-1913)  and Christian Connell and he was def from Lismore. His father was Connell Connell (1807 - 1895) and his father in turn was Donald Connell (1778 - 1859).
My grandmother had brothers Connell Connell, David Connell and John Connell whom I know emigrated to Australia after WW1. My niece met an Ian Connell who I believe died in 2019 but there the train ends.
Have a look at my website hughwalton.co.uk  So far I've only done my grand father's (Montague Haynes) side but I want to add the Scottish side at some point.
Would be good to hear from you. I'm retired and living in London. You can see the family tree on the website.

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 09:37 BST (UK) »
Probably a long shot, but I have an Alexander Connel (ggg.grandfather) born around 1767.  Census info gives his birthplace as Campbeltown, Argyle.    First wife, Agnes Munro.  He possibly had a brother, Neil.  Alexander lived to a good age but unfortunately died in 1854 so I am unable to find his parents. If only he'd lasted another year!  Have you come across him in your researches? 
I have him well documented apart from his origins.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline Hugh Walton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I'm also working on a Connell/Conell family from Lismore. Or, to be correct, I have found a lady by the name Jane/Jean Connell (b. around 1803) in my tree (my gggg-grandmother), married to John Buchanan, but I can't seem to find any information on this Connell family.

These two live at/in Balnagoun (could possibly be the same place you are referring to) in the census from 1841.

Did you find anything on the Connells?

Hi I haven't come across this Jane Connell. The only one I have is a Jane Connell born in 1786 who married Donald Connell (1778-1859). But I'm still working on this so I'll let you know!
Lockdown permitting we're hoping to go to Lismore at the beginning of August!

Offline Hugh Walton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
Probably a long shot, but I have an Alexander Connel (ggg.grandfather) born around 1767.  Census info gives his birthplace as Campbeltown, Argyle.    First wife, Agnes Munro.  He possibly had a brother, Neil.  Alexander lived to a good age but unfortunately died in 1854 so I am unable to find his parents. If only he'd lasted another year!  Have you come across him in your researches? 
I have him well documented apart from his origins.
I haven't come across him - yet - but I'm still working on the Connell family tree. We're hoping to go to Lismore in August  lockdown permitting! I have found that quite a few Connells left Lismore for better opportunities on the mainland including my great-grandfather John Connell who ended up in Dollar, Clackmannanshire.

Offline DollarConnell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'm pretty sure we must be related! During lockdown I've been researching my family history having heard a lot about Lismore and Dollar when I was growing up. My grandmother was Jessie McColl Connell (she married Capt Montague Haynes). Her parents were John (1854-1913)  and Christian Connell and he was def from Lismore. His father was Connell Connell (1807 - 1895) and his father in turn was Donald Connell (1778 - 1859).
My grandmother had brothers Connell Connell, David Connell and John Connell whom I know emigrated to Australia after WW1. My niece met an Ian Connell who I believe died in 2019 but there the train ends.
Have a look at my website hughwalton.co.uk  So far I've only done my grand father's (Montague Haynes) side but I want to add the Scottish side at some point.
Would be good to hear from you. I'm retired and living in London. You can see the family tree on the website.
Hello Hugh, we are related, My G-GFather was John Connell, I also met Ian in 2014, he was my grandfather William's (born 1905 in Dollar) cousin......send me a message with your email address and we can swap information. I have visited Lismore and Dollar in 2014 and 2017, had planned to go again this year also till Covid stopped that. I live in Perth WA Australia.