Author Topic: James Hutton, Yester, Royal Navy  (Read 4233 times)

Offline yfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hutton, Yester, Royal Navy
« on: Monday 04 November 13 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I'm trying to find some further info about my ancestor James Hutton. I estimate that he was born around 1780 as he was appointed as a purser in the Royal Navy on 10 Jun 1800 (although he might have joined the navy earlier and be older)

He served on HMS Chichester 1805 and was wounded on HMS Flying Fish 1806. He disappears from Navy lists c 1834, and I have his will, he died 1840.

His first marriage took place on 28 Dec 1816 at Yester, East Lothian to Mary Brown of Inverkeithling  (daughter of Rev Ebenezer Brown and wife Erskine Gray) This record advises that James was living at Gifford Vale at the time, and Yester was his parish. They had three children, Mary Gray, Margaraet and Erskine Gray Hutton. His wife died and his second wife was Isabella Murray, married 1828 at St Cuthberts Edinburgh, they had two children, William and Isabella. He remarried in London 17 feb 1835 at St Pancras to Eliza Elizabeth Andrews (their daughter Eliza Robson Hutton is my ancestor).

Im keen to find out more about the Hutton family if possible, is there any way of identifying a baptism? Does anyone have access to parish records? Or to further info about the navy, would naval records give info about date or place of birth or family? And does anyone know where I could access these?

Someone else kindly provided the info I currently have about his navy career, so I havent seen any records at all yet.

Many thanks

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Hutton, Yester, Royal Navy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello yfs,

There is an online record, a ship's pay book, for a James Hutton dated 18 June 1794, ship is Irresistible. There are 5 pages to the record. The cost of the download is £3-36. It may be worth the cost to see if it is your James Hutton.

Reference:   ADM 48/39/99
Description:
Papers relating to    Hutton, James
Ship Name:    Irresistible
Ship's Pay Book number:    62

Date: 18 June 1794
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Mags

Offline Steve Brown

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 21 04:55 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was Wiliam Hutton. I have a letter dated from 30 May 1806 sent from Naval Hospital Antigua sent to Rear Admiral Cochrane.
The letter described the bravery of James Hutton, Purser, in helping to fight off some escaped french prisoners whilst under sail on the "Flying Fish". In the middle of the night, James Hutton came on deck naked and unarmed. He seized upon one of the frenchmen and fought him off with his sword. James was wounded in this action but saved the Captains life.
He was purser on HM Ship "Amelia"
Happy to provide you with a copy of the letter if you wish
Steve Brown

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 October 21 10:38 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Scottish Records.

There were about 70 James Hutton's born 1770 - 1790.

Have you found any census records or do his navy records mention a place of birth or next of kin?

When and where was Eliza born?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 October 21 11:26 BST (UK) »
I have now found some information, it looks like James died 1837 – 1851 do you have the record?

Birth 3 November 1836
Christening 29 January 1837
St Pancras Old Church, Saint Pancras, London.

Father: James Hutton
Mother: Eliza Elizabeth

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGBJ-BNB Eliza/beth is a widow.

Marriages Dec 1857   
Hutton    Eliza Robson        St Luke    1b   733

One of below.
Newman    George Joshua       
Otton    Charles Alfred       

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 October 21 11:53 BST (UK) »
I guess this is a possible death for James which puts his birth around 1777

HUTTON, JAMES       63 
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in SAINT PANCRAS  Volume 01  Page 269

There were 13 James Hutton born Scotland 1777 +/- 2 years. His only son was William. If they followed the normal naming pattern, possible below, however not all did.

JAMES HUTTON   Baptism    WILLIAM HUTTON/ELIZABETH WILSON    11/09/1778   Kennoway, Fife

There was only one birth, mother Margaret, father George in Fife, plus two others in Fife. There were no births in East Lothian in the period and only one in Edinburgh below.

JAMES HUTTON   Baptism    JAMES HUTTON/MARY EASTON    19/05/1775   St Cuthbert' Edinburgh

Colin