Author Topic: John Ross 1807  (Read 2095 times)

Offline dejavu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Ross 1807
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help with some queries. I have reached an impasse in trying to track down the parents of John Ross, 1803ish-1885, Master Shoemaker, husband to (Mary) Davida Graham, 1815-1895. Possibly born 1807 (dates  conflict).

On his death certificate his parents are identified as John Ross, farmer, and Helen Ross, born Munro. The closest match I can find is a John Ross b. 1761 crofter of Kincardine parish in the 1841 census and his wife Helen b1776. I can't track them (or Helen at least) in the 1851 census. There is a possible  marriage  in 16 Jun 1792 of John Ross and Helen Munro. BUT I can't track down a death record for John Ross senior or any further information on Helen. I'm wondering if they were caught up in the clearances of  1845 in Kincardine parish and were scattered. If anyone can confirm that they are the parents of John Ross, would be grateful.

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Ross 1807
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
The censuses (only checked online transcripts, not ScotlandsPeople) seem consistent in a Rosskeen birthplace for John (early 1800s) and I did notice that a Hector Munro appears to be listed in the household of John and Davida in 1841 (original on ScotlandsPeople would confirm that Hector was in their household) - might or might not be related/significant.

As your post did not make it clear whether you had checked the OPR baptisms, I then checked ScotlandsPeople and found a baptism record for John, son of John Ross and Helen Munro, parish of Rosskeen, dated 16 May 1807. I have not checked the full record but would advise you do as there may be additional detail.  Similarly for the 1792 marriage record you refer to.

Looking on Familysearch, a couple called John Ross and Helen Munro appear to have had several baptisms in Rosskeen, from 1793 onwards.  Have you checked the originals of those baptisms on ScotlandsPeople for additional information? Do any of those names match with the people listed with the John and Helen Ross in Kincardine parish or with John and/or Helen Ross in other parishes (more than one in Rosskeen 1841 I think) or in the households listed nearby?

There are no burial records in the OPRs for Kincardine and only 1801-13 for Rosskeen.