Author Topic: Master Mariners  (Read 21436 times)

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Master Mariners
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 July 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
If I have understood the guidance previously offered, the next stage is to look at the records at the LMA as this will give vessels, etc. Is this correct?

His Master's certificates should list all/most of the vessels he's been on in his career.  As far as I'm aware you can still order those from the Caird library at the National Maritime Museum - where I got mine. It might be worth giving the manuscript department a ring just to verify, they're really helpful.
http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/

Once you have a list of ships, you can look at Lloyds registers for each ship, in newspapers, and even google, to find further information - where he was, when etc - and you can ask here, of course. There're plenty of wreck sites, shipping sites etc out there to help - such as this one 
http://library.mysticseaport.org/initiative/VMSearch.cfm

Someone more experienced in these matters should be able to help you  with your other questions.  But I don't think there is a similar list for the 1700s - I think the registers only began in the 1840s. Crew agreements went back futher than that though, but you'd need to know the name of the vessel he was on first for those to be of any use.

Regards
Ann

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 01 July 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
Ann, thanks for the information

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 July 12 13:15 BST (UK) »
I'll call them in September

From the Royal Museums Greenwich website

Caird Library temporary closure due to Olympics
Royal Museums Greenwich
As you may have seen on the Museum’s website, the Caird Library will close to all visitors from Monday 2 July until Tuesday 4 September 2012 inclusive for the preparation and holding of the Olympics and Paralympics in Greenwich Park.

During this period there will be no access to the Library as the reading room will be in use by LOCOG (London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games). Written and telephone enquiries and the remote reprographics service will also be unavailable from this date.

The last order date for the consultation of offsite items is 12.30 on Thursday 21 June, for consultation on Tuesday 26 June. The last day that the Library will be open is Saturday 30 June.

The Caird Library will reopen to the public at 10.00 on Wednesday 5 September 2012. Written and telephone enquiries and the remote reprographics service will also resume from this time. For full opening times from 5 September, see Visiting the Library.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused to our users. The Archive & Library staff will be using the closure period to rehouse offsite collections to bring them onsite, and to reorganise stores to make future retrievals more efficient.
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 July 12 14:45 BST (UK) »
If his certificate number was 37521 you should be able to download it for free from the National Archive. Never used it myself so cannot tell you what is contained.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=8835315&queryType=1&resultcount=23
Beware of tracing ships by names alone. If it was a British registered vessel after 1854 it should have a unique Official number which stays with the vessel even if it changes name, (a common occurrence) as long as the  ship is on the British register.
Never trust internet sources without double checking preferably with an original document.
Be aware that several vessels from the same era could have the same name.
I downloaded the said document and he is recorded there.
The first entry says he sailed on The Cardiff registered vessel EMPIRE official number 33079 to Quebec. Just to reinforce my statement. There were at least six vessels around with that name in 1860.
I  suggest you download the document.  He is in part 2. Come back with any questions
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 July 12 18:35 BST (UK) »
Seaweed thanks for this

The Empire needs more research but the Mermaid was a little easier - but it does need validating.

From http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Ships/Clippers/Mermaid%281853%29.html

1883 November 10
    Left Quebec for Liverpool with a cargo of timber.
1883 December 13
    Drifted ashore in a severe gale at Horse Bank off Southport, England. The crew abandoned the wreck in two boats and were saved by the Southport and Lytham lifeboats.
    Wrecked at Leightham,
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 July 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
The first entry says he sailed on The Cardiff registered vessel EMPIRE official number 33079 to Quebec. Just to reinforce my statement. There were at least six vessels around with that name in 1860.

Can you suggest any websites that can help with further information on the Empire?

tks

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 July 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Bob Sanders is the man to talk to
http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/SHIPIND.html
Also Dr David Jenkins at the Welsh Maritime Museum
http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/2327/
and the excellent Welsh Mariners site presented by Dr Reg Davis
http://www.welshmariners.org.uk/
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Ringoroses

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 06:49 BST (UK) »
I'll call them in September

From the Royal Museums Greenwich website

Caird Library temporary closure due to Olympics
Royal Museums Greenwich
As you may have seen on the Museum’s website, the Caird Library will close to all visitors from Monday 2 July until Tuesday 4 September 2012 inclusive for the preparation and holding of the Olympics and Paralympics in Greenwich Park.

During this period there will be no access to the Library as the reading room will be in use by LOCOG (London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games). Written and telephone enquiries and the remote reprographics service will also be unavailable from this date.

The last order date for the consultation of offsite items is 12.30 on Thursday 21 June, for consultation on Tuesday 26 June. The last day that the Library will be open is Saturday 30 June.

The Caird Library will reopen to the public at 10.00 on Wednesday 5 September 2012. Written and telephone enquiries and the remote reprographics service will also resume from this time. For full opening times from 5 September, see Visiting the Library.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused to our users. The Archive & Library staff will be using the closure period to rehouse offsite collections to bring them onsite, and to reorganise stores to make future retrievals more efficient.

Oh well isn't that just typical. Hope you get some joy after your wait!
Ann

Offline sorrelb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I was asking about my relation, Robert Godsoe, a master mariner.  I have found out a lot about him from various internet site.  He was a Master Mariner of a ship called 'Elizabeth Bentley' in 1854 and 1858, working from Liverpool to New Brunswick.   He married in Southport in 1864  and had a son in 1865.  However, by 1871 his wife was a widow.  I cannot find a death between 1865 and 1871 on dry land.  How can I find a possible death at sea?