Author Topic: The Master and his Apprentice  (Read 1221 times)

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'clogs to clogs in three generations'
    • View Profile
The Master and his Apprentice
« on: Sunday 18 May 14 01:25 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what entitled someone to be considered a Master and by what authority the terms of apprenticeship were upheld?

I have recently found apprenticeship documents for several ancestors that mastered a variety of trades including wooler-weaving, blacksmiths, tailors and boot/shoe makers.  Each document was almost identical in regard to terms and conditions.

The investitures seem to be legal documents and I wondered if it was something drawn up by a solicitor or some other body such as a Worshipful company? This is because of the horrific fact that fathers could impose this document upon their own sons if they were Masters in any particular art.
I also wondered how these terms were enforced and what the penalty of any breech was most likely to be.

Here is a word for word copy of an indenture for a 7 year apprenticeship. I have seen a few of these now for various trades, such as blacksmith and shoemaker. All of the terms and conditions are more or less identical.  The length of apprenticeship seems to be 7 years. The only difference seems to be how much has to be paid to a master.

London England Freedom of the City Admission Papers

This Indenture witnesseth that, ….(Name)….son of …(Name of father)…..of …(Address)… in the County of….. the sum of ten pounds being paid or secured to the Master, as the consideration for taking the said apprentice, doth put himself Apprentice to… (Name)… [Richard Lambert Rose] Citizen and MERCHANT TAYLOR of London, to learn his Art, and with him (after the manner of an Apprentice) to serve from the Date hereof until the full End and Term of ….seven…Years, from thence next following to be fully complete and ended; During which Term, the said Apprentice his said Master faithfully shall serve:

•   His Secrets keep;
•   His lawful Commandments everywhere gladly do.
•   He shall do no Damage to his said Master, nor see it to be done of others, but that he, to his Power, shall let, or forthwith give warning to his said Master of the same.
•   He shall not waste the goods of his said Master, nor lend them unlawfully to any.
•   He shall not commit fornication, nor contract matrimony within the said Term.
•   He shall not play at cards, dice, tables, or any other unlawful games, whereby his said Master may have any loss.
•   With his own goods or others, during the said term, without license from his said Master, he shall neither buy nor sell.
•   He shall not haunt taverns or play-houses, nor absent himself from his said Master’s service, day nor night, unlawfully;
•   but in all things, he said Apprentice, he shall behave himself towards his said Master, and all his during the said Term.

And the said Master, his said Apprentice in the same Art which he useth, by the best means that he can, shall teach and instruct, or cause to be taught and instructed, finding unto his said Apprentice, meat, drink, apparel, lodging and all other necessaries, according to the custom of the City of London, during the said Term. And for the true performance of all and every, the said Covenants and Agreements, either of the said Parties bind themselves unto the other by these Presents.

IN WITNESS whereof, the Parties above named to these Indentures interchangeably have put their Hands and Seals the …day..of ..month.. in the …number of years…Year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lady VICTORIA, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Queen, and so forth and in the Year of Our Lord, One Thousand Eight Hundred and ….

Witness: The master’s signature and clerk’s signature

Stamped and sealed.
CANTY - Ireland - London
LANCHBURY - Oxfordshire - London
LUCKHARDT - Germany - London

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Master and his Apprentice
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 May 14 12:42 BST (UK) »
Couldn’t let this subject pass without reference to ‘The Sorcerer’s Apprentice’ (German: Der Zauberlehrling) a poem by Goethe 1797

Hat der alte Hexenmeister                      Good! The sorcerer, my old master
sich doch einmal wegbegeben!              left me here alone today!
Und nun sollen seine Geister                 Now his spirits, for a change,
auch nach meinem Willen leben!           my own wishes shall obey!

The whole poem in German and English
http://german.about.com/library/blgzauberl.htm

Sorcerer's Apprentice - Paul Abraham Dukas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wneUNq_Ndbw

Walt Disney’s famous take on it – (apologies to all musicians)

Fantasia - Walt Disney
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZJcKM8pO0

On a more serious note – I wonder if these apprentice indentures were a reflection of attitudes towards professionalism; more highly valued than today perhaps, even in the trades or whether it was more a form of employer tyranny?   
CANTY - Ireland - London

Offline lonetrooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 May 14 21:58 BST (UK) »
Apprenticeship Indentures and Disciplinary Cases

http://www.londonlives.org/static/IA.jsp

CANTY - Ireland - London

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:52 BST (UK) »
There was a law passed in the 18th century (I cannot recall exactly when ... but it shouldn't be too difficult to look it up if you are interested in the exact date) prohibiting a man from taking his own son as his apprentice.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 16:14 BST (UK) »
It depends on location and what sort of apprenticeship, I think.  There's an interesting talk (with transcript) here:
http://www.gresham.ac.uk/lectures-and-events/apprenticeship-in-early-modern-london-the-economic-origins-and-destinations-of

While apprenticeship to a member of a London city guild may have provided opportunities for those who could make it through the seven years and come out with a trade and freeman status,  you do often see in the "apprenticeships" of pauper children (boys and girls) to local farmers and I do doubt that in those cases much of a trade was learnt - that seems to have been more of a cheap labour source for the farmers and a way of getting someone else to pay for their upkeep on the side of the parish.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk