Author Topic: BECK family of Dromore/Dromara  (Read 16832 times)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BECK family of Dromore/Dromara
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 August 12 06:32 BST (UK) »
I've done a bit more research and Becks have been in my family different generations, but both from Dromore area in Co Down. As you know, I'm looking for information re Dorothea Beck who was married to my 4x grandfather John Beresford who was a soldier. I can't find him either and the surname is recorded with different spellings in different documents. They were born around 1800. I have just discovered that a Robert Thomas Beresford who is definately in my family tree and born and living in New Monkland area of lanarkshire married Mary Beck in Dromore in 1898. I have a copy of the recorded marriage details , and his name is recorded as barrisfield over there. For me, I don't just think it's a co-incidence that he has married a Beck, and shows that they must have still kept in close contact with family in Ireland. Mary's parents were James Beck, married to Elizabeth Chambers. The address on the marriage cert is shown as Ballykeel/sp, although there is an entry for them on Ros Davies website as being in Annahilt/Hillsborough. James Beck is recorded as a farmer
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline dougmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 August 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My great grandfather John Jardine married Mary Beck in 1872.

This was either a second or third marriage for John, and Mary Beck was younger when she married than one of John's other daughters.

John Jardine was a merchant and he and Mary ran various businesses including a bar and tavern in Bridge St Dromore.
Mary went on running the business when John died.

Mary and John had 3 children.....my grandfather John, Alfred (who died age 29), and Marguerita

Mary Beck's father was Samuel (farmer)

Any more info. would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. my Mum was named after Mary!

regards,

Dougmc :)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 August 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm sorry but I don't recognise any of the names you mention
I have a Dorothea Beck in Dromore but no idea of the names of her family

Elspeth
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline dougmc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 August 13 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Elspeth,

Dorothea had two sisters .....Mary and Elizabeth, and a brother John

Mary was my ggrandmother.

I can send you more info. on this if you need it!

regards,

Dougmc

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 August 13 12:51 BST (UK) »
Yes please Dougmc,

I can't find a single thing about Dorothea anywhere.
There are plenty Becks in Dromore, but no birth or even marriage dets or death.
She married John Beresford ( name registered under different versions such as Berrisfield, but changed to Beresford in Scotland, so I don't know what the real name is) He was a soldier, but I know nothing more than that.
 If you have information, I'd be both grateful & delighted at the same time.
PS I can find nothing about him either !!

Elspeth

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 August 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
Oh, BTW, I also have a Mary Beck 1868-1937 who came from Dromore. Her parents were James Beck & Elizabeth Chambers ( Mary was from Ballykeel )

Elspeth

PS my Dorothea was born around 1800,but I don't even know full dets for sure

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 May 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dougmc, sorry to bother you - you were going to send me some info. I found the link to Proni will search and I found Samuel Beck's will with Dorothy mentioned - it can't really be a co-incidence and I expect she is mine- at least I have found confirmation she exists. I tried to save the will pages from Proni but they turned out black background with white writing. If you have any info, I'd really love to see it - thanks in advance , Elspeth

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 May 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
To Dougmc and Soapy1
I don't know if this line is still active, I've been researching the Becks of Ireland for a great many years, I was very interested in the Dorothea who married John Beresford, I have a Dorothy Beck of originally Quilley Dromore the sister of a John Beck of Quilley born 1756 and married his cousin Mary Beck, died in Ballysallagh in 1840. His son Samuel Beck of Ballysallagh was married 3 times - his third marriage was to a Dorothy Mills, they were the parents of Mary Beck who married John Jardine.
Mary Beck who married Robert Thomas Barrisfield ( grandson of John Beresford ) was the daughter of James Beck and Elizabeth Chambers of Ballykeel, they are connected to the Ballysallagh Becks, but several generations earlier.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 11:13 BST (UK) »
 i wondered if you had seen
from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/dromore-parish.php#.V0QjSlf0bHg

Beck, Jno.   Townland: Ballynaris Year: 1834
Beck, Jno.   Townland: Quilly Year: 1834
Beck, John   Townland: Ballysallagh Year: 1834
Beck, John   Townland: Ballysallagh Year: 1834
Notes: Spent Bog

Beck, Widow Townland: Quilly Year: 1834 

seeing the enumerator original for one name has been changed, ie spelt Bog, I add in for ‘just in case’
Beggs, Saml. Townland: Quilly Year: 1834
Beggs, Widow Townland: Quilly Year: 1834
Begs, Joseph Townland: Tullindoney Year: 1834

original in proni Belfast, it describes the acreage and quality of the land and that’s it. access is yourself friend or paid searcher. ie they wont copy it.   if the same entry for townland exists in Griffiths valuation you can look up a map supplied by them and see the homestead
i didnt look up Dromara
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide