Author Topic: Grahams of Kilkeel  (Read 33082 times)

Offline fionascott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grahams of Kilkeel
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry thanks for the advice

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »
It's all for your own protection to prevent spam, etc.   Looks like you've got lots of information and photos to exchange :)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline crosshands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona - glad you have made contact with Linda and she has my email.  My wife is same generation as you (granny being a John Graham daughter). Thought I would just touch base with you and query Agnes Maud d.o.b.  You say 1908 but the 1911 census for Kilkeel has her listed as age 9, so this makes it 1902 or thereabouts.  As such, she is the youngest child in the Graham family - do you agree / I assume you have seen the census which is available on a free link:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002245700/

Anyway, the info on your family was very useful to include in my Ancestry tree.

Offline fionascott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 18:53 GMT (UK) »
1908  is the date I remember just by word of mouth from a question I asked as a child. It was not based on a document. Since you have the primary source then it must be correct. Thank You so much for sharing this information. Maud had, as i said, 6 children and most have passed away. I will contact my aunt and cousins and get their dates of birth and that branch of the family tree. Maud's daughter Rhoda passed away last year in south carolina. She was a GI bride in the war. She told me she altered her birth certificate to make herself a year older ( 16 instead of 15) so that she would qualify to sail over to the states as a "wife"!  Again this is word of mouth. There is also a story I remember That Granny Maud told me of a boy in her family running away at the age of 12. He had argued with his Dad over reading a book in lamplight way after bedtime! Apparently he stowed away on a ship and arrived in the USA. The tale goes that he became a pilot in the Flying Tigers. I don't know if he was from the Graham or Wallace side.
 If I find any family documents , old historically relevant letters or certificates and photos such as one I used to have of Maud as a teenager, I will post them. My cousins here in the states should have copies. Thank You.

Offline iconone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 January 14 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Interesting stories which you don't get from the data. 

The date of birth we have for Maud is 22/04/1902

Linda

Offline ballinran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
hello
   i have a Graham family tree of the Graham of Ballinran Kilkeel starting with John abt 1790.there are two Graham grave in Kilkeel pres meeting house lane side by side but no names ,the one in the corner is the Graham of which are now near Rosterver ,the other one is the Ballinran Graham
    Raymond

Offline crosshands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Raymond - just seen your post (Rootschat doesn't seem to send me notifications any more).  Would be interested to see your tree and wonder if it fits with any of the people in my first post? Regards David

Offline ballinran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 April 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hello David
I have a Graham's family tree on ancestry.co.uk. I do not seem to have the Graham's you are talking about though. I would like to know more about John Graham and Margaret Jane Scott as most of the Graham's were presbyterian and not church of Ireland. Also I'm not too sure of who their fathers were, I think the Scott's came from ballinran Kilkeel. It would be interesting to see if the Graham's came from there too!

Thanks Raymond   

Offline crosshands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 April 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Raymond.  I have put my Grahams on an open Ancestry tree (GrahamsofKilkeel).  The only reference to Ballinran that I have is the death of a George Graham, born Kilkeel 20 Jan 1889 and died in Ballinran but I don't know the date or where I got this data from (perhaps I picked this up from your tree????). He married an Ellen Shields from Ballinran.  I have the Scotts from Derryoge.
David