Author Topic: Balfours  (Read 16317 times)

Offline denmylne

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Balfours
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
update
 denmylne,was sold,in 1749, by, micheal, the son of lady denmylne, the widow of the missing Baronet,also called micheal, and in the son's will, circa 1751, he left 15000 silver scots merks, (about 2/3 of a pound sterilng) of which a part share in the interest accrude would go to his children and their children,
sir patrick balfour, the last baronet of denmylne, was commander of the 4th regiment of sapoy, east india company, and killed in 1793,
Patrick Balfour, the last baronet, had a document confirmed by the lord lyon in 1772, showing his linage, he does mention his brother John, who died the same year,but doesnt mention his other eldest brother, micheal, who was a merchant in Kircaldy,(where all of the balfours of denmylne were now living) as he is styled himself, who was married to Anne Davidson of Woodmilne, (about a mile from denmylne),  and certainly had at least one child, amelia.Whereas all three sons died apparently without ,issue,the daughters lived to old age and had children. this may have caused friction with their uncle, dr david balfour of Kirkaldy, who had at least one son, micheal, (also styled as a merchant in kirkaldy,who had at least one son archibald, a writer in falkland, who, had at least 2 sons, ?        ?..
Sir andew balfour, son, Andrew balfour of northbank,, mentioned in letter to the king 1700, Micheal, his other son, also styled of north bank, married elizabeth barclay, sister to the baronet of collernie, (about 1.5 miles from denmilne), had a son,John, cristened in dunbog, 1743, .....
lots of leads
sid, the balfours in ferry port could also be from north bank or kirkady, ill keep an eye onpen for anything i find

Offline CarolynS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I was interested in reference to James Balfour of Middlebie. I am trying to break down a brick wall in our Cumbrian Balfours (my husband's family): my interest is in an entry  in the Parish records of Arthuret in Carlisle Records Office which reads:

May 19 1803 James bastard son of James Balfour of the parish of Middleby and Mary Gunnion of Springfield, North Britain.

This may be James Hewit Balfour who married (record not found) Janet Haughan of Annan and had 7 children in Springfield/Todhills died Brampton 1886.

if you have any knowledge of this it would be much appreciated

Kind Regards
Carolyn

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 April 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Carolyn.

I was the one with Balfours from Middlebie.  :)

I'm afraid I don't have anything more about 'my' James Balfour than what I posted earlier in this thread. I haven't worked on the family for some years but James was my dead end. I have no place of birth for him, no marriage to Ellenor (Nelly) Brown, but I have two illegitimate daughters (surname Brown) b 1803 and 1806 in Meinside, Middlebie.

It is so long ago that I worked on this family that I can't recall the processes involved in putting together this family. I do have the documentation somewhere.

Unfortunately none of the names you mention ring a bell.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.  :)

Offline CarolynS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 24 April 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

If you find anything relating to James it would be of interest to me, and see if we can knit these lone Balfours into a family.

Should I find anything I will post the results for you

Offline Ail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 18 May 14 06:34 BST (UK) »
My husband's grandmother was Jane Balfour born1866 ?where she marred David Trail Young 4 September 1891 Church of Scotland Edinburgh he was born June 27 1870 in Scoonie and died October 7 1951 in Iverleven Methel.

Jane died December 10 1923 in Iverleven Methel.

I have never been able to find anything on Jane's side of the family.
My husband was born in Australia and knows very little about his Scottish relations.

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
I'm trying to track down some Balfours in Fife as well. I'm looking for the family of John Balfour, a shipmaster in Kirkcaldy who I think was running a ship between Kirkcaldy and Leith in the mid 1700s.

We have this:
"19/04/1772 William Kier land surveyor in the parish of Aberdalgie and Janet Balfour daughter of the deceased John Balfour shipmaster in Kirkcaldie now in the Grayfriars parish."

I've found an advert in the Caledonian Mercury 15 November 1743 :
"That the good ship The Happy Janet of Kirkcaldy, John Balfour Master and proprietor lying in the harbour of Dysart, about 75 tuns burden; is to be exposed to sale by Publick voluntary Roup, on Wednesday the 30th November current, in the house of James Balfour jun. Maltman in Kirkcaldy. The articles of Roup to be seen in the hands of Mr James Mansfield Merchant in Edinburgh, and in the hands of the said James Balfour, where the inventory and Rights will be shown to any who incline to offer."

(great name for a ship!)

I think John married a Kirkcaldy lass, Bethia McIntosh, but they may not have always lived in Kirkcaldy and I'm struggling to find likely BDM records there.

Any info on these Kirkcaldy Balfours and their ships would be much appreciated!
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Cochrane, Anderson - Haddingtonshire, Fife, Clacks
Brodie - East Lothian
McDonald, Hamilton, Finlay, Morn - Paisley
Smart, Robertson - Kirkcaldy & Dysar, Fife; Dundee
Chesters, Allen, Pennington - Cheshire & North Wales
Christer - Cumberland, Northumberland, Cumbria, N Lincs
Altorfer, Haller, Feller - Switzerland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
Just for the record, a David Balfour, labourer, was married in 1847 at Anstruther Wester to Christina Leslie Peebles, a cousin of my 2 x great-grandfather James Peebles. David Balfour later became the town officer of Anstruther Wester. He died in 1886 aged 78, and his parents were James Balfour, labourer, and Annie Fyall.

The very next entry in the AW deaths register is for Robert Balfour, who died there in the same year aged 88. He was the son of William Balfour, ploughman, and Christina Balfour.

Harry

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
Ail, both Balfour & Traill are Orkney names!

Skoosh.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Ail, both Balfour & Traill are Orkney names!

Skoosh.

Yes, but two of the Orkney names that originated in Fife. There were Trails as well as Balfours in the East Neuk of Fife, and I have Trail ancestors there in the 1600s.

Harry